[Tool] UDK T3D to Unreal 4 T3D Tool

I’d also be interested in this, even if it’s only very basic. Very tedious and time consuming having to have UDK open and having to manually re-create all the nodes of a complex material and hook them up one by one. Both UDK & UE4 export materials to .T3D or .COPY but I’ve never found a way to actually import it. Seems like it should be possible…

hi , really awesome tool , ireally enjoy experiment with it :),
however I got some weird result when using v 1.1 and v1.2

this is after conversion , notice that ** only the first static mesh path got converted **but the second or other static mesh stay the same

it should be
StaticMesh=StaticMesh’/Game/MyMesh/Arrow.Arrow’
but some how the other static mesh still :
StaticMesh=StaticMesh’MyMesh.Arrow’

so in unreal engine 4 only the first arrow appears on my scene

but again , thanks for the effort :slight_smile: really appreciate it

I already had a new build of my tool able to convert T3D materials, However there is a major roadblock preventing material support, Despite the fact you are able to export materials as T3D files out of the engine, Importing T3D files back into the engine is limited to only importing actors into the scene, and not creating new assets like a new material.
I’ve posted a request on the answer hub and it’s been added to their internal database but who knows when, if ever it will be implemented.

UDK’s material editor does not use T3D to copy nodes, while UE4 does. While it may be possible to take an exported UDK T3D material, and convert it to T3D you paste into UE4’s material editor, the problem is the T3D generated by UE4’s material editor is needlessly complex (it manually defines the creation of each node/pin) that would require a significant amount of work and I’d have to manually create support for every single node.

But actually it may not matter because Speedy37 released a UDK import plugin that supports materials because its an actual UE4 plugin. However my tool supports more actors than his.

@xvampire, Yea that is weird results I have not seen before, can you send me the output you get from UDK? I’ll need it to track down the bug.

Any ideas of how to export the level from UDK, with materials, as a mesh? FBX and proper UV maps?

Nice work!

Has supports for lights been added? It just complains that no staticmeshes were found when copying lights.

This plugin can’t import map info in “last” (tested on 4.4.3) version of UE4.

There are some changes in copy\paste data structure.

So I decided to make my own program https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66755699/UDK-UE4.jpg
I can post download link later (when I finish it). Program works with static and skeletal meshes, and no sence to add light suport, because “Speedy37 released a UDK import plugin”, and this plugin works with light (and content). BUT it don’t import static meshes. It import one mesh to coordinate 0,0,0 with no mesh model. I think “there is no such model in folder” can couse this bug, or there are some changes in copy\paste data structure or I use old version of engine (4.4.3) ?
Sry for my bad english.

My program with source code (visual studio 2013) and documentation https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66755699/UDK-UE4_MapPortingTool.rar
Works on UE 4.6
It convert from UDK to UE4 level entities:
*StaticMeshes
*SkeletalMeshes
*Ligts
*Emitters (particles)
A little bit harder to add custom entities` (without source code editing), but still possible.

PS. I forgot about my promise to add link, sry)

Another link (if I delete it from dropbox)
Error | VK change extension from .txt to .rar.

Hey Stridemann,
I was wondering if since your program uses Speedy37’s plugin to first get things imported over and then I assume copy to a 4.6 build, if you wouldnt mind telling me how you got his plugin to work. I have gotten things to import over, not T3D but once they are in the editor, my scene doesnt fill up with the static meshes, etc. I only get 1 brush and 1 static mesh. I can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing wrong. Once things are ported over I wanted to use your software to get the rest skeletal meshes, etc. Would you mind telling me how you got it to work? I’d greatly appreciate it.

Hey guys , I’m looking to just convert over everything within a .upk over to Unreal 4’s format including the upk’s internal folder structure. is it possible with any of these tools ?

@DarkSynopsis on Twitter made me aware that there is an introduced bug in v1.2, only the first static mesh will have it’s rotation converted over. This isn’t a problem in v1.1, or here in v2.0

Although I don’t know how useful it will be to anyone now, I am releasing v2.0 now for free. Not really any money to be made off it, and the Unreal Marketplace I don’t think will ever support external programs like this one, and I don’t have the experience to re-create the tool in UE4 naively.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40671983/UDKToUE4Tool/UDKtoUE4Tool_v2.0.zip

v2.0 Fixes the introduced bug, plus adds Lightmap UV support to static meshes, and converts a whole range of actors including:
Lights, Cameras, Decals, Kactors, Skeletal Mesh actors, Interp Actors, Particles, Audio and Exponential height fog.

And now supports Dynamic linking of assets in UE4: If the UE4 content folder is provided, ported over assets only need to have the same name as they did in UDK, but can be located anywhere in the project’s directories. If an asset with the same name is found it will use it. If no asset with the name is found, or no UE4 content folder is provided the asset path will simply be converted from

My tool only converts T3D script, not binary assets.

aww man ! well thx for the reply !

Hey so I was able to convert everything from UDK to UE4 except SoundCues And ParticleSystems…I was wondering if there is a way to get those moved over like how Speedy37 was able to convert Materials?

Thanks in advance

How did you manage to do that ?! You transferred models, materials and textures over to Unreal 4 from UDK??

Finally got all my assets into Unreal 4.10.4 and I tried to run the tool for the first time and I get an error, my guess is that it don’t work with the version of Unreal 4 that I’m in.

Here is the error log:

Ok so I got the editor to work , it seems that I did not run as Admin ! OMG.
Also Any way to get an update so the tool also keeps layers?
and there is also an issue with crashing Unreal 4.11 when the CustomProperties line is present.
I deleted the line and no crash happens.

I’d actually like to get ahold of the source for this tool so that I can make a few changes of my own.

It does not work for me :frowning:

Thanks for making this tool! I’ve been on the fence about moving to UE4 for a while and this tool helps me test and prototype quickly.

The tool didn’t work for me at first though, I kept getting an “Index error”. After some trials going back and forth it looks like the issue was caused by the line: LODData(0)=(ShadowVertexBuffers=(ShadowMap1D’ShadowMap1D_4’)) in my script copied from UDK. I was able to delete this line and the tool converted the script without any problem. It appears to have something to do with pre-built lighting, the fix is to select the objects you want copied in UDK, and then move them in the editor slightly to blast away pre-built lighting information, THEN copy them and use the conversion tool. After figuring that out, everything seems to work fine.

Hi Matt.
Can you share source code of your tool? Thanks

Hi,
I keep getting an actor not found dialog box whenever i try to convert a T3D File, Can anyone guide me further?
I exported a static mesh from UE3 and imported it into UE4 as a .OBJ file,
I have the source of the game in UE3.