Too old for this

So this might be a little off topic but I hope not. I found out about this UT development thing about a year ago and all these tutorials look so cool. As a kid playing UT99 I would’ve jumped at the chance to do stuff like this but now it feels like way too much stuff for this old fart. I would like, if possible, a couple tips for people just starting out that don’t know anything at all. For example, I don’t even know the difference between modding UT and developing in Unreal Engine. Also, if I learn stuff, what kind of work would I be able to do? Will this knowledge be applicable in other games or software? Also, as an amateur artist rather than a programmer, what would be an appropriate thing for me to focus on when it comes to working with the unreal engine or modding resources?
Thank you in advance and Happy Valentines day!

-Richard

It’s not too late to learn, and especially these days there’s lots of learning material available.
UE4 is a tool that gives you a large amount of technical stuff already done for you and provides the tools so that you can make whatever type of game you can come up with. As an artist, the tools have been geared toward making it easier for you to be able to make gameplay without being a programmer. It all depends on what you want to do, and once you get to know the engine better you’ll be able to come up with some game ideas that you can accomplish using the tools available like Blueprints if you don’t want to try and learn coding. It’s better to focus on what you like and what you’re good at rather than trying to learn everything.

You are never too old to try something new!!
If you are an amateur artist I would focus on any kind of modeling. Most people model outside UE4 in software such a Blender, Maya, and ZBrush and import it into UE4. I’d also focus on Rendering (which goes hand-in-hand with modeling anyway) and start experimenting with things like post-process effects and particle systems. However, if you try, say, Blueprinting and really enjoy it go for it! Just search the forums and Youtube for tutorials and figure out what you want to specialize in. And if you want to do everything there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that although if you are planning on turning this into a job I would just focus on a few things. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I was worried it might be super technical but I’m going to look into Blueprints. I actually spent about 5 months learning programming with Java but I realized I’m not very passionate about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t know you could import things from different programs. Is it easier that way or provide a better result? Which of these programs do you think would be most beneficial for me if any at all? Thank you so much for the info btw :slight_smile:

call yourself an “old fart” you “young pup” I’m 50 i have ZERO computer/modelling/rendering training/schooling behind me and i’m still learning how to do things in UE4 , though i did start back in 2004 with ut2004 modding.
it’s never to late and your never to old to try an learn something you enjoy.
as the others have mentioned start with the stuff you enjoy and build on that, as for game/mod stuff keep it simple , set very small goals or you’ll end up like me with a project continuing for or 12 years and 3 engine versions :slight_smile:

the main thing is enjoy what you do

Blender is free and has a ton of features, but 3ds Max/Maya are the standard for the industry, so if you plan on working at a studio you would have a better chance of finding a job if you use one of those two programs.
For making geometry, those programs provide a much larger set of tools available than what’s in the engine, along with a bunch of other features that you would need. Also, they are used in many other industries like Film so most of the skills you learn are usable in many jobs and not just gaming.

I am from 1969 ^^,
but feel not like an old fart.
I startet perhaps a year ago with UE4 and the beginning was very frustrating.
Variables huh?
PIE what
Why is in the Tube-Tutorial a detailspanel and i have not such a cool thing? lol
Why is this up to date machine crashing, when i try to import huge meshes (like worlds), with many polygons (enough to fill ten universes)…

I had always a game like doom 1 in my mind, while learning and i learned only stuff i liked.
Now with a bit basic knowledge i develop “Catch the Clown”, but in VR. sry kidding

Hold projects small, make backups often. I made every tutorial i had done so far, in one map and in the end, i got Beams for it.
UE4 could be very hard. Answerhub is your friend.
:slight_smile:

Dont give up now old timer

You ain’t an old timer!

My uncle who is 59 is trying to learn this stuff! (He is also a Plumber!)

Give it a go! :smiley:

The moment you believe you’re too old for anything, is the moment you’ve began to die.

Geewiz Man…

Brazil is the most cheerful country in the world; people manage to be truly happy with their lives without any significant money to support them;
It’s just me who have fallen to the dark side :wink:

I hate when I reply, but forget to quote must edit to add the quote… zzz

You “Young” kids are funny! I am several clicks past 60 and have been doing dev /3d since I was 40.
I have kept up with the changing tech and learned a plethora of different apps in that time. Have worked
with the Unreal product since the days of the Unreality editor, as well as writing a few 3d games engines
along the way. There were NO home computer systems when I was a kid. Got my start when they were the
size of a house and data was entered in zero and one, via small yellow cards. I do plan to continue, until the
time comes to check out of Hotel Earth. And take note, there are a good many like me, you just do not hear
much about them as they are more or less behind the scenes and leave the “glamour” to the young dawgs.
So get cracking, you have a tonne to learn and time waits for no one.

Some tips: Follow the documentation. IIRC UnrealEngine has some great free video tutorials available that run you through all the basic example scenes.
After that, Google is your friend. You can find information for just about anything out there.
Finally, start small, really small. Something like Pong or a simple shooting game where u get points for shooting things is usually a good first step.

Developing a mod is usually “easier” in that the actual game has already been written and for most mods you are just extending that gameplay in one form or another. However, modding can essentially by synonymous with game development. Some good examples of this would be Alien Swarm, Counter-Strike, Enemy Territory or DotA. A mod can be as complex or as basic as you want it to be, but it is almost always limited by the engine the mod is based on.

Things are very applicable to other games and software with game development. Once you learn the concepts solidly behind 3D modelling for example, you’ll be able to move between different 3D packages fairly easily. Anything you make in 3D you will be able to import in to multiple engines without too much difficulty (usually.) It’s just a matter of learning the different quirks and interfaces of each editor/engine/software. Similarly the concepts learnt in one scripting/programming language can usually be applied between different languages, it’s just a matter of learning the different rules of each language, and the API(application programming interface) for the engine which is essentially certain code you can run that interfaces between your own custom scripts and the game engine. There are even “visual scripting” languages now such as Unreal’s Blueprint which allows you to script code by essentially making an interactive flowchart.

As an amateur artist (it really depends on what interests you) it’s important to note that even if you just want to focus on 3D art having a solid understanding of Photoshop(/GIMP), a 2D graphics editor is essential. A 3D model is just one flat colour without a (multiple when you learn about normal/specular maps etc) 2D texture applied to it so that would be my first recommendation for learning. Once you feel confident with making 2D images (you could try and make a 2D game or) you can start really getting deep into 3D stuff. There’s a lot of different options for software and things and all of that comes down to personal preference.

As for resources I recommend the tutorials that come with the engine and google from there as I said before. It’s important to know that in general (while there are some super kind people around) most of what you learn will be self-taught. Even though there’s tutorials and articles out there it’s up to you to have to find them. It’s generally up to you to figure out the questions you have to ask google to get the answers you need when you’re having trouble. As most people won’t understand specifically what it is you’re trying to achieve and be busy trying to figure out their own problems. There’s very much a culture of “you won’t be spoonfed” when it comes to gamedev, but at the same time people are usually able to offer help/advice when it’s really needed in good communities.

There’s lots to learn, and I hope you don’t get overwhelmed. If you stick with something simple (for example i just googled how to make pong in unreal engine, and got tonnes of results… or even just how to make a 3d model in blender) hopefully you’ll have made a game/imported some models into the engine in no time :slight_smile:

Happy Valentines day Richard, best of luck! I hope I was able to help some what.

Nah not really Sir.
Think about Teletubbies!

If you have any children and they happen to like teletubies, you’d love to watch that sht with them.
Everything is a matter of situation/point of view.
When you think you’re too old you’re just saying to yourself you can’t do what you’d like to do just because social convention is not doing it at your point in life, instead of doing what you love because you love it.
That is what kills you inside… Ignoring your passions and following conventions for the sake of it, no real reason.

That’s when telestubbies comes in to play!

You are never to old to learn! :wink:
OT:

Big NO Sir.
For me personal is Teletubbie a 185% NoGo, when it comes to teletubbies and very young kids.
It feels for me like brainpoison, like many of the monsanto-disney stuff now.
But sure it is good to produce humans with great potential in obey.
Only my personal 50cent, no insult nothing, only loud thinking of a weirdo.
:slight_smile:

Indeed hahaha