Toggle Key Inputs Based on Keyboard Setup (Dvorak v. Qwerty)

I have figured out how to change which inputs the game uses, and how to make more than one key do the same thing. However, I don’t have the first clue how to establish two separate inputs with overlapping keys.

See, I use Dvorak drivers, so my little WASD grouping is really <AOE. And adding a few reachable keys for inventory, reloading and the like quickly overlaps keys for a normal Qwerty setup. So I need to be able to set it up one way, and then have it readily switch key setups if the player prefers a different way.

I’m going to need it to be Dvorak default while coding and testing it, but then switch it to Qwerty default when I finish it, and in both cases I want it to let the player switch controls from a menu (I haven’t gotten to menus yet, though). If I get to understand this engine well enough (I’ve only just started), I’ll want to have it allow the player to choose whichever controls best suit them, even custom controls, but for now just the two types of keyboards is sufficient.

…also, my recent studies into the Oculus Rift have made me aware of latency issues and the need to keep my FPS up way higher than I ever normally play. So if there’s anything in control-mapping that would impact latency, I’d like to know about it.

1 Like

+1 I would like an answer to this as well.

1 Like

One thing that I have done is use the export option to save my DVORAK layout of inputs. It is feasible to make two of these - one for development (DVORAK) and one for release (QWERTY) that would have completely different keybinds. This would solve one issue.