Toggle Develpment Only on Blueprint Nodes

Hi all, forgive the noob question. I’ve tried to figure it out myself without success.

I want to make individual nodes in my blueprint “development only” similar to the “Print String” node.

I have seen other nodes being marked as Development Only but I have not figured out how I can make an arbitrary node development only.

How can I make an arbitrary node “Development Only” in my blueprint? Is it documented somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like
2 Likes

Well, last time I tested it, it worked. Must say, I don’t like the idea of whole chains of greyed out nodes, though… :upside_down_face:

I think it always pays to stay in the main stream region of the engine. You get people with these crazy questions ( not saying this is one ), like “I want to do a trace, but using a dodecahedron, in a custom character I coded in Java, and it’s not working…”

Staying in the main stream is much easier… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hey thank you all for the responses. Here is a screenshot of what I was trying to do in case it wasn’t clear. This is totally doable because i copied this from another project and it works. I just didn’t know how to do it.

Screenshot 2021-09-30 170629

After watching the video shared by @ClockworkOcean I learned that the only way to do this is to actually bind the command to a key sequence. Once you assign the shortcut to that function now you can toggle the feature on and off on individual nodes.

Thank you so much for sharing that!

I just tested this in Unreal Engine 5 and once you disable a node it cannot be re-enabled. I had to delete the node and start again, so this is not exactly what I was looking for.

I found out which command to add a shortcut for, but it does not toggle it on and off. It just turns it on.

Sorry about all these replies. I’m a noob :wink:

I figure out that we need a shortcut for disabling and one for each different type of enabling. See the attached image

• Disable Nodes - Selected nodes will be disabled
  • Enable Nodes - Selected nodes will be enabled
  • Enable Nodes (Always) - Selected nodes will always be enabled
  • Enable Nodes (Development) - Selected nodes will be enabled in development mode only → this is what I was looking for in the original post.

The Lesson here is that I should have watched that video to the end. I was too eager to try it myself that I didn’t watch the whole video. That was just stupid on my part. I’m gonna go hide now.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!