To view-bob or not to view-bob?

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on view-bobbing while running. I’ve been thinking of adding this to my game at some point, but if people really don’t like this, or are indifferent, then I’m not going to take the time to do it. (Or I will add it as an option down the road that players can enable/disable as they please.) But I’m just looking for opinions. I’ve been lucky enough to have a lot of time today to do additions and tweaking, and got thinking about this.

If you’re interested in seeing the game I’m talking about adding it to, it’s at .

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Regardless of whether people like it or not, it alienates 10-30%(depending on the view-bob) of your market that is sensitive to motion sickness that view bobbing helps trigger.

It’s ultimately an artistic choice, but I personally would always recommend against it by default simply because it can impact sales negatively more than it does positively.

Note: I’m at least slightly biased because I personally fall into that percentage, and do not buy 90% of the FPS games I would like to play because they frequently trigger motion sickness due to “features” like this.

I remember back in the early days, I played a ton of Unreal Tournament/2 simply because it was the ONLY fps at the time that didn’t make me want to barf.

At the very least, please make it a feature that can be turned OFF.

Second the toggle. In fact- default should be off.

It also doesn’t need to be dramatic. Almost not even there is better than ‘OMG I CAN’T EVEN SEE WHERE IM GOING’.

Thanks for your replies! I have to agree. I’ve never been a fan of head-bob. It was neat in the earlier iD games like Doom & Doom II (and the spin-offs Heretic, Hexen, etc…), but the neatness wore off.