Timeline controls missing from preview in 4.7, 4.8 - Following 3rd Person Tutorial

Hi Folks,

Relatively new to UE4. I’ve been following a few tutorials, and overall have had little issues translating into 4.7.6. I’m following along with the 3rd Person tutorial here:

I have two issues:

1. In the video, when an animation is selected inside of a “state”, or elsewhere, the preview automatically changes to reflect the currently selected animation. This just doesn’t seem to work for me. From within the “Locomotion” state machine, I am able to adjust the ‘speed’ parameter and the animation preview reflects the change, but the tutorial video shows just selecting certain elements (even an animation from the asset browser) causes the preview to show the selected element/animation.
  2. I seem to be missing the preview timeline controls. I’ve reset the layout, and checked in both 4.7.3 and 4.8 Preview 3. The tutorial clearly shows the timeline, with control buttons. For me, I only see two buttons: Play/Pause and “To Next”.

My preview window:

Preview window from tutorial:
TutorialTimeline.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Hello. I’m following the same tutorial. The timeline tool is at the bottom of your screen, not directly below the preview window (at least for me)

4fff74aab3b9b8bfad3c90bd55a1e39247ce66a7.jpeg

Thanks for the info! I was thinking the two issues could be tied together, and maybe I’m just missing this “preview” button that I read about. In my case, I’m editing the state machine named “locomotion”, when he’s able to click on one of the states, and the preview window reflects the selected states animation.

It’s not a huge deal, but I feel like I’m missing something… both in the UI (with the timeline), and being able to preview animations with a single click.

Thanks again