Timeline and framerate relation

Hello,

I am using timelines to make an object move up and down constantly. So it looks like an animation. But I wonder if it has anything to do with the framerate? Does framerate effects my animation if it is, how so?

It does not.

edit: to clarify - it will look jerky at 10fps but will take the same amount of time to play.

Using Tick is frame-rate sensitive, Timelines, Delays and Timers are not.

Hi Everynone. I use r.screenpercentage to modify my fps in standalone test and my timelines are affected (the difference is huge) when I test 30fps and 120fps. I’m frustrated by it and I don’t understand why

The lower the FPS the further the movement distance in the same time span.

30 moves vs 120 moves… 120 will look smoother.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I’ve read on many sites that timelines are framerate independent, so clearly I’m doing something wrong :sweat_smile:

Timeline output MAY be frame rate independent, but it depends on how you set up that output.
IF the value is just from 0 to 1, that doesn’t really mean that the object moving with a lerp won’t jitter.

The output is framerate independent when you want to say output a value from 0 to 600 in 1 second.
You can feed that directly into X, Y, or Z to move the object around without it jerking around.
However, if you do any math off the output, then the chances of the end result stuttering are far more likely.

Also consider the fact that very short timelines with very fast transitions WILL stutter.
Let’s say moving an object 1000 units in .01 seconds will take ~3 frames.
0, 500, 1000 is probably all you’ll see rendered…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. So what is your suggestion to move objects without being affected by the framerate. Directly at the Tick Event with the help of delta time, timers…?

Yup, but this is only if you have dynamic frame rate. If yor project is set to fixed framerate, DeltaTime will be always same, and not affected by the FPS.

Basically, just edit the timeline and output the value you want over time. Easiest way to do it…

Ok, thanks to all for the help!