Time Synth set volume group broken?

Hello everyone,

I can’t change the volume of one of my volume group.

“Set volume group” (Set the volume in Db of the given volume group over the supplied Fadetime)
Fade time is 0.01

That “set volume” is on a tick that supply a Volume float. (range 0-1) but tried even negative -100 1, or 0 100 to make sure.
This doesn’t work.
Even if the float is at 0 (from a print) the volume doesn’t change at all.

The only way to change volume is with a one shot event (like a keyboard key) and set it, so I can’t dynamically change it.
@dan.reynolds
Aren’t time synth supposed to work that way?
Do I have to find an alternative to change the volume dynamically?

The synth is on a moving actor (the player) and I would like to be able to fade a clip based on the distance from an other moving actor in the level.

Thank you.

I remember running into this bug back in 4.24, I don’t remember if it’s been fixed–a bunch of TimeSynth fixes went in for 4.25. Which engine version are you on?

In 4.26 we’re releasing a new feature which I’ll be talking about in the coming weeks that will replace TimeSynth, but it’s still in Early Access.

Hello Dan,

4.25.3-0+++UE4+Partner-Oculus-4.25
Replace TimeSynth?? Oh no…

Darn I am finishing my game using TSynth, is the new feature in 4.26 preview?
Early access or not I will ship my game with it that’s for sure :slight_smile:

It’s in Preview, but I haven’t done any videos on it. It’s very new.

It is a new Subsystem called Quartz which stores handles to Clocks in the Audio Renderer (essentially metronomes) which can be used to synchronize audio playback and get gameplay delegates. Any sound, it works with Audio Components.

Oh my this is amazing Dan, you and the team are doing such a fantastic job,
I have been waiting +10 years for this…!

With TimeSynth I though I could tackle my musical combat vehicle game, and I did. :slight_smile:
I’ll investigate Quartz once 4.26 is out, looking forward to watch your feature videos.

So far TimeSynth was easy to graps, Quartz is hard but it’s a it will resonate well I am sure (Great name)
Cheers!

For sure! The TimeSynth was a special case because it had to work with both the legacy as well as the new Unreal Audio Engine and as such was basically a miniature 3rd audio engine. But as more and more people adopted it, we realized that adding features to the TimeSynth was basically just making the TimeSynth more and more its own audio engine. So once the Unreal Audio Engine was on by default, we began looking at bringing TimeSynth features to the native renderer. That’s what Quartz is.

This is so great: you’ve made some Youtube video about Quartz!
Posting the first one for other user reference!
Thank you Dan!