Tilting a landscape to an extreme gives skewed results

This may be an odd case, but I need to tilt my landscape sometimes 90 and sometimes 180 degrees. The entire mesh looks warped and using Brushify before the tilt, it appears that landscape paint changes weren’t carried over to the new tilt either. Is there any setting or procedure to make angling a landscape possible? I’ve included a snapshot of a landscape I was working on and the same landscape tilted about 90 degrees to illustrate.

Neither the Landscape nor the Brushify material are made for orientations other than +Z == Up.

However, you might be able to achieve similar results by simply setting the camera orientation to use a different “up” and setting the global gravity vector to have a different “down.”

If, however, you need to have both horizontal and vertical landscapes in the same scene, then you probably should build the terrain using regular geometry, rather than a Landscape, or perhaps look at the Voxel plugin from the Marketplace.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. This is an annoying and disappointing limitation. Thank you for your explanation though.

Just modify the materials and remove all the world positions nodes on them.
To replace them you would just use UV or landscapelayercoords.

Alternatively you can bake the landscape out to a mesh and just use the produced mesh, which may also bring a significant performance improvement…

1 Like

Good tips. In regards to your option on the first paragraph - been playing with the values. The landscape without a complex material, I’ve figured is okay. I put in a basic material and there doesn’t seem to be a problem with the landscape itself except for a blasé material. Brushify is a complex animal, but I think you’ve put me on a good track at least experiment-wise on removing the world positions in the materials. A bit of work here because of how many materials this brushify thing uses and the actual impact on removing the positions stuff as they had to be in there for a reason, right?

Regarding the exporting to a mesh, though technically this works if I want a non material landscape this becomes a nightmare on piecing together the material by hand and the master material - I don’t even know where to start. So the first option above, I’ll be concentrating on.

Thank you for all the help!

Well, it’s the easiest way to get a texture to match a size in meters… because otherwise the UV change with landscape size.

And re the rest. Bake an impostor like you would for level streaming. The material gets baked down to a single texture.

1 Like