thoughts on uefn?

thoughts on uefn? i think that it will be an amazing tool for small developers

2 Likes

It’s the best thing to happen to Fortnite’s long-term relevancy since Creative landed

2 Likes

I had high hopes but editor is buggy, crashing and with lots of unsupported features.
Verse is the ugliest programming language I have ever seen. Also way too complex for the task while somehow managing to be very limitted at the same time. Very poor documentation too.
Can’t publish project because of the creator portal bug.
No feedback from developer.
Forum is pretty much a dead place too.

Overal pretty bad state atm.

1 Like

My only previous experience is in 3d assets creation for mods on Unreal2k4 decades ago, so definitely a noob now. So far I have been enjoying the program, the devices are definitely a great tool for non programming noobs like me. The project validation errors and disallowed objects have been a pain.

Agreed, if you try to follow their own documentation you will end up messing your project up.

1 Like

As a complete and utter noob into any type of programming- i took this on to push my knowledge of computer skills further.

im off sick from my normal job as a mailman/postie with a prolapse herniated disc along with sciatica in my right leg- to keep my mind at bay i saw this and thought it looks good -lets give it a whirl.

it’s a great tool… when it works and behaves properly- the Nightmare of the validation errors and disallowed objects as mentioned above has been mouse bashing stressful haha

i’d love to be able to fully publish a full playable map soon- just hope they iron out the errors

1 Like

Don’t hate me for loving it so far, plz. KEKW

I come from 1.0 and was never able to publish any of my maps. I made like 3 and gave up. But now, it is like christmas for me! A real working undo function is gold! And I can add my own stuff from blender to it! There is coming more and more tutorials up on YT about all the tipps and tricks to get what you want out of uefn. I mean, I am very patient with many things in life but I do see frustration too. Like the mentioned dissallowed objects DUH!!! What a pain, right?!
Might be little stuff compared to you programming magicians, I will never touch verse I guess … i need to see stuff to do something … words are hard.

All in all: I really love it!!! :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

GLHF to you guys! <3

1 Like

Creative was already gold, extending it with UEFN was too good to be true.

Really limited, even for simple things. As it’s now, It’s merely a glorified map editor.

1 Like

Limited compared to what?

As far as I have seen, UEFN is the best tool if you want to make high quality games without programming any physics yourself. The landscape editor was exactly what we needed, but we got so much more, and more is to come.

I can imagine that some people who don’t play Fortnite are frustrated that they cannot make their games work exactly as they want. My tips to them would be to play more Fortnite, to learn how the game works.

Been playing this since it launched as STW

If you take a look at the development and help forums, you’ll see countless threads about errors that are seemingly unsolvable and issues that people simply can’t fix (the tool doesn’t provide any feedback for what is causing errors). It’s no surprise that developers are holding out for improvements, but many have grown frustrated with the software’s limitations and barebones functionality. It’s remarkable that in 2023, we have less support for development than we did with source games back in 2005.

Ok, so then lets try to see if we can get around these issues. Pinpoint the parts you like about Creative & UEFN you like and design a game concept around those particular mechanics. See how you can tweak them to make the game feel unique. If the new editor is buggy then build the foundation in Creative and port to UEFN at a later stage. There are actually quite a few excellent biomes you can work with in Creative.

Are you even serious? Suggesting to solve the issues with UEFN by playing more Fortnite? By using Creative instead of UEFN? God bless you! :smile:

This guy will never get it, because he doesn’t want to. GL HF!