This is driving me nuts - Collision

Hey guys,

So I started out pretty recently with UE4, but I have this issue and it’s driving me crazy.

I have my main player BP taken from the ThirdPerson template and I have an actor with a model that I purchased. For the life of me I can’t get the actor to trigger a collision event with the ‘ThirdPerson’ player.

They are both setup as ‘Character’ category, they both have collision events enabled and they both have ‘pawn’ collision on for the capsule and ‘Character Mesh’ collision on for their Meshes. No matter what I try I cannot get the actor blueprint to trigger a collision event with the Thirdperson character.

What I’ve tried:

• I’ve tried every collision event i can in the actor blueprint, both on the capsule and mesh.

• I’ve tried just ‘print’ on each one.

• I don’t even see it being trigged in the blueprint.

• I’ve tried creating new Characters/blueprints for both actor and player and re-importing everything.

Can anyone help?

I know this is going to sound like a “Is the computer turned on?” sort of question, but have you opened the mesh in the mesh editor and verified that there is an actual “collision mesh” on it?

I’ve fought with this type of problem once or twice only to realize that there actually WASN’T a collision mesh on something that I had assumed that there was. So, sorry if the question seems obvious, but you do understand, I HAVE to ask.

Yup, it’s on :frowning:

Well it’s hard to guess without being able to take a look “under the hood” but have you tried enabling Simulation Generates Hit Events (and/or overlap events, depending on what collision event you are looking for) in the collision settings?
Also make sure the appropriate collision channels are set to block if you haven’t already.

If you still can’t get anything to work then you should upload an example project or something we can look at.

So they’re triggering with everything other than each other? Have you tried colliding with other objects?

Unreal can be frustrating at first, but hang in there and you’ll start to learn quickly.

Hi Guys,

TK-Master: I have tried hit events and that works fine, however it wont work for me as I have to run at the actor for it to trigger… and In my case it’s a ghost actor slowly walking towards to the player, and I want it to disappear (destroy) on overlap.

NinjaFrank: Yes both my actor and player are triggering with other objects, just not each other.