Third Person Camera/Player Movement

How can I get the third person character to walk backwards with the players back towards the camera while still using the ‘Orient Rotation to Movement’ option?

With ‘Orient Rotation to Movement’ selected the camera rotates freely around the player until movement is started then it rotates the player in the direction of movement. I want the forward velocity (W) to rotate the player to face the direction the camera is facing and the backwards (S) and Side movements (A)(D) to be in relation to the camera. A good example of what I’m wanting to achive is the camera/player movment in Dead Space.

This is what currently happens when the (S) key is pressed:

I would like the player to simple walk backwards when the (S) key is pressed instead of turning around and only turn around if the camera is looking behind the player and the (W) key is pressed. If that makes sense.

Off of your move forward input, you should do a branch (after the movement input is added) and if the axis value is less than or equal to (-0.5 or similar value) set ‘Orient Rotation to Movement’ to ‘False’, and if the value is greater than that, set it to ‘True’. There are probably some better ways to get this setup, but that will at least get you headed in the right direction.

Yea I had the same thought process but with no success. I’ll play around with it more and see what I can do. Thanks!

I hope you find a solution to this, I was trying to achieve a similar effect for a client but he provided animations of the player walking (left, right, back, forward) with ‘Orient Rotation to Movement’ to True. Not sure if you have those animations available to you, but it saves a lot of time coding certain movements. Below is a video from my project with animations rather than coding, if that’s the look you’re going for.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F6L25jBBQMDS489tC66iCr9_wa6ePfUc/view?usp=sharing

Set it up for use with controller so movement on keyboard is very jittery ^^

I figured out how to get it to work. For the most part anyways.

This is the default Movement input blueprint that comes with the third person project.

If this is added you can walk backwards into the camera without making the character 180.

While it has kinks that need to be worked out, its a start.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10aSRH5ptgWP7dzF3gBaHZTWeMzvKe0OI/view?usp=sharing

Oh, nice! I’ll definitely be using this more often, I’m glad you found a solution, especially this quickly. Thank you for sharing it!

I have a question about some blueprint regarding this.

The ‘Check Forward/Backwards movement’ event works but the ‘Check Left/Right Movement’ does not. The logic makes sense, to me atleast. I’m just stuck on why its not working and was hoping someone with fresh eyes could look at it.

Forward (W)
Backwards (S)
Left (A)
Right (D)

343461-ds5.png

343462-ds6.png

Just in case anyone comes across this post later wanting answers, I figured it out:

This is pretty much Dead Space player/camera movement. I’m sure theres still a better way to do this but this will work for now.