Thinking about dropping ARK modding and why!

The problem with the kit is not the kit. Its not the game. Its not the mods. Its not SOTF. Its the ARK Dev Team. Anything that is created by a team that consistently lies to the entire community… (AND YES, I SAID LIES, INTENTIONALLY), will not be released properly or on time. Things will be out of sync, and the honest truth of it is while they say they care, they really don’t. They’re getting amazing reviews and thats all they care about. What can be done about it? Start making negative reviews of the game, use steam’s review system like YELP. get your experience on the steam forums and make it stay up top where they cant ignore it. Make sure they realize we’re ****** at them about the way they handle things, and how they’re splitting up the DEV time. The dev kit they use is the same dev kit we use. All it takes is uploading a few files for it to sync. The fact that they DONT do that in a timely fashion just shows laziness. They have more than half their dev team handling SOTF? DEMAND They pull the team off of SOTF and get them back on what they promised they’d do. Make it a huge issue for them to do things that they werent supposed to be doing in the first place.

Incorrect.

-WM

Seriously… this thread is too salty.

It’s a game in pre-release and Wildcard are a tiny team.

Their focus is getting the game out of the door. You have the privilege of being able to mod a game that is still in early Access - and you dont like that features are missing or that you dont get the attention of a company still trying to get their game to V1.0

Seriously… People need to grow up a little. This whole thread reeks of impatience.

A lot of developersdont even release a mod kit with their game.
A lot of developers wait until the first few patches before they follow with a dev kit.

If people can’t be patient - then go do something else. For the rest of us its an opportunity to learn and be in at the start of a good thing.

Sorry I rant but SERIOUSLY! Stoppit!

This! :smiley:
+1 to all of it

Maybe try some black pepper on it next time you read it.

Seriously wake up and look whats has happend here.
This small team “as you call them”

• Makes the Stock game.
  • Makes a Official Mod for the game during its EA/alpha stage. (Sotf/TC).
  • Toss in a win upto 60K cometition while the game is in Early Access. game still got bugs/glitches etc.
  • Even a smaller part of the team gets assigned to make the ADK.
  • Supports a win up to 10K modding contest, its even in the epic launcher. and this contest got like the worst rules ever.

Whats the result form this?
Well, anyone with a little smarts would know that… deadlines and so on will be hard to keep.
That the ADK is always so out of sync with the rest of the gamedata is frustrating.
Im sure that many thing will get more stable over time.

Altho i think the ways updates happens is ******.
Having that said… Thats not the main reason to why i have uninstalled the ADK.
I never said this was one of my reasons to dropping ADK.

Im dropping the ADK because of its Technical limitation.
***** Limited to blueprints only (Graphs/ visual scripting)
***** No Scripting language support.
***** No support for plugins/extensions.
***** Based on a old engine, which is known to have alof of bugs.

Sorry to enlighten you but the start happend months ago.

Also, im of the opinion that. when i want to learn something i want to learn something usefull and new.
I want knowledge i can take a use of else where. to be fair. i’ll not get far in the world with blueprint knowledge.
Nor is it helping me to do real coding/scripting which i have a little passion for.

If your trying to learn the UE engine. i think the ADK is a bad place to start.

Boy, that’s a rough one. I make my living out of Blueprint scripting and its a really good one. Technical/System Designers are a very valid position. You also couldn’t state the advantages of a scripting language compared to BPs. Comparing it to Arma 2 its way more powerful than the SQF language and if you can handle a scripting language you can handle (vanilla) blueprints and the other way around. But if you wanna go the whole distance and want to become a programmer you should not do Modding. There is no Modding that allows you to code in C++ which is the language you should get use to.

Anyway, you wanted to know why people consider dropping it and most of the people here are not at this point yet as it seems. You should also be open to people posting reasons why they do not want to drop it. If you are not open to that I wonder if that thread had a different intention than starting a healthy discussion.

I have agree on that. Starting UE4 with Ark is way too overwhelming. But if one wants to get “far in the world” heshould start with vanilla UE4 anyway.

The game is up to v220 and the ADK is still not even on v218.

Considering the change logs only mention general changes, and not the technical aspects - which is what modders want to see - it becomes more or less impossible to keep track of everything that changed since last time that could affect the functionality of your mod. You can only hope that you don’t have to start it over from scratch.

It’s frustrating and I don’t think I can do it anymore. I think I’m gonna stop trying to make anything until the game is released, though by that point I’ll probably lose interest anyway.

Since youre so huge fan of blueprinting and it can basicaly solve anything.
I suspect you have never done heavy duty scripting or made a more complex app in C# or C++/C that hello world. I may be totaly wrong tho.
Ok so that was a blunt one, Sorry but coulnt resist. just saying alot more people are making a living outof coding C/C++/C# than then nr of poeple doing blueprinting. :wink:

Also I think i did…

I never compared it to arma. but ok. lets do that even tho its a totaly different type of engine.
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands
Give me an example of what i cant do with this which can only be done in blueprinting
Take aside engine limitations only give a example which both engine should be capable of doing. one can not create a miracle with it.

Thats just a butload of ****. so what youre saying is that. someone who never done scripting and only done bluerints
Would understand, namespaces, public, private, protectd, referances, pointers, classes, functions, tempates, expresions(lambda, regex, etc) and so on?
I take that part of your line as a joke.

Thats not true. C++ is not a scrpting language. but yes you can use and its being used to create mods and modules.
You mentiond a ArmA2 yourself. it allows the modders to write C++/C extensions and hook up to the game…Fully supported by the game.
This Extension will work along with your custom Sqf scripts…
Another game. If you want to do modules for DCS you need to do lot of C++.

If you want to make a thread about how wounderfull ark modding is and youre going to continue with this for a long time.
Go ahead and make a thread about it but this thread is about why you are considering dropping ark and your resons for it.
My intentions where and are verry clear. share my bad experiance i had with the adk with others and hear what your reasons where., mostly described in post #1.

… Poor salty darling. What part of “Early Access” don’t you understand?

It’s Pre-release. And…get this, but I know its going to make you sad panda: MODDERS ARE NOT THE AUDIENCE. We’re not the market. We aren’t the priority. We get the time left over from their hectic schedule building a frikking game - you know, to sell to millions of players so they can, you know, feed their families and pay their developers.

Modding comes later, or in bits, and the only reason you get to mod at all now is because they opened up the dev kit early.

The engine is 4.5 plus: They use what works for them - not you. Tough **** if you can’t get it to work, or if the version that fixes your problems comes a little later than you wanted.

You seem very upset about lots more than Ark tbh - And this thread comes across as an agenda: You want us to …what?`Agree with you or…go somewhere else. Is this your private server? Guess what - its a public frikkin forum and people DON’T have to agree with you.
We get you think blueprints etc are limited. C++ is a true language etc etc whatever.
Here’s a thought: Unreal dev might not be quite your thing. It would be nice if you didn’t try to **** all over ours tho, you know? You’re in the ARK DEV forums… expect a little heat when you start trying to wave your willy around.

You are just salty and unreasonable. You disqualified yourself by this comment. We are done, mate. This is a forum is made for knowledge exchange and discussion. You are not open at all and hostile as ****. Take care!

So your sayng that, im not entitle to be unhappy about a product, because they do a job?
cant a product be bad eitherway?

Moddng comes later. thats for sure. we have all seen that pattern.
And usaly in bits or pizes aswell. you got that right aswell.

But the reason to why we have modding now at this point is simple. we have modding now is because they decided they wanted mod support so they need a userbase to test it with.
It will be to later doing it when the game is done since it will must likely mean alot of recoding. so you need to do this early in the game if you want it.
The costs would be to high to implement it at a later point.

They say its in EA but acts as its gone gold in sertan areas.
I said this earlyer. working on a mod for the game while its still in EA wtf.
Having a win upto 60K contest wile the game is still in EA. wtf. ( i find it odd that there isnt any laws against that, but thats another subject. )

Even tho the game is in EA, i can quarantiee you 100%.
1 * the will never open up the engine.
2 * they will never implement a scripting language.
3 * they will never implement plugin/extension support

Im not so young and naive any longer as i used to be. i seen this kind of stuff before.

Now your kidding me right. they toss in modding support and they only do changes that fits them self. leaving buged mod support.
I have the tenancy to be a tad slow at time. but even i can see that this is problomatic.

Dont go there. dont event start to compare the unreal engine with the ark engine.
Unreal engine allows you to write code in c++, lua also i belive. havent checked to much into that just seen it mention a few times.
Unreal engine allows you to create pluins/extensions to which your game can use.
So just to be Clear. UE development is not the same as ARK modding.

I was born in the flames of hell. if this is all the heat you can give, your giving me a chill :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides it you who came in here calling this a salty thread and telling people to grow up.
You are not forced to read this thread. if you are happy with the ADK please refrain from posting here since its obviously not the right thread for you.
But to be fair, you have had 0 constuctive replys to this thread.
So if you have a urge to reply to this thread again. post Constuctive replys,
This can be be bad or good or both. but be on target.

, just heard that you are Arkman from the IRC?! I hope this is not true. I even helped him via Skype and looked at his files… That’s how wrong one can be about people…

Edit: Checked your threads. You are Arkman… Hell, that pulls me down as ****. I spent time helping you. I even told you how to proceed with your shooting target and helped you sorting your replication. Well, at least it gives me some background on your understanding of code and blueprints. Now I can at least say that you just dont know what you are talking about at all. We are so done.

Why are you even posting this here it is totaly irrelevent. (oh no guess i hit a sour spot and we need to make it personal now)
why dont we diverse more from the topic and start a flaminbating aswell.

Oh btw. Arkman spend alot more time on the irc helping people than what you ever did. so dont try to give me some bad vibe here or something.
If you like i can go as far as pull up the log from the irc and see how much stuff yourself needed help from once in a while.

And yes i know what im talking about.
I have thanked you for your help many times. and you gave me a insight in how replication works.
The files you have are so old and not the same anymore so you can just make up your own opinion from that if you like i could not care less.
and no you did not help me sort my replication issue. it still exists its a bug in the engine. so no matter how much magical blueprints you can pull out of your butt it will not help.
You can google up repnotify/replication bugs for UE yourself.

For the love of all salty goodness someone please lock this thread

No, do not lock this thread. and WOW, they locked the thread on the steam forums. What’s that tell you? ARK Devs do not care about what they’re doing to the people who support them.

This has just devolved into **** posting, and repeating dead points, please someone lock this.

That’s what happens when a brown noser comes along to defend, they destroy all discussions they do not agree with. Don’t lock the thread, get rid of the brown noser so discussion can continue constructively.

New development. ARK DEVS are now CENSORING posts regarding their ETAs, Deadlines and Promises. Posts are getting moderated, closed and people are getting 24 hour + bans for posting ANYTHING related to ETA, deadlines and promises. This is actually in violation of Steam’s forum rules, and an abuse of moderation power. They’re not allowed to moderate posts based on the content, only based on hostility and negative language.

i agree. this dev kit is keyed really to give fast small easy to make content just to further the popularity of the game. I ran into huge road blocks. When i gave up on the stuff they dont really care if we add and focused on the easier fluff my time with the dev kit became much easier. We are stuck playing their game and the only way to win is to play along or leave. People will make their choices. Some will have hope other wont. The blueprint system is a system imho created to allow low skilled “Programmers” create stuff they wouldnt normally have the knowledge to do or the intelligence to learn. Does that mean everyone uses the blueprint system is an idiot? of course not. Im sure it gets used by professionals for ease and for who knows what.

That said you have multiple issues. You have early access, you have devs that dont seem to respond to much, you have no real documentation (i honestly think they are sitting back hoping hte modders will do it for them with tutorials and videos), you have no lower level code access… which means that we are at the mercy of missing or poor tooltips as we cant inspect functions to learn their purpose otherwise, You have them using an old version of unreal, you have replication bugs, You have fanbois like crazy and to top it all off you have a bastardized version of unreal to make the mods in with ZERO error handling it seems. The slightest little hiccup is generally the end. Hell yesterday i left my dev kit running in PIE doing nothing with a generic map and it crashed lol. The errors are mostly unusable as well. Then to top it all off they give access to things that are broken as soon as the client/server updates yet dont give modders the ability to fix the mods for a week or more… then they fix it and a few days later its broken again waiting for the dev kit. Those mod developers will eventually just pull the mods for all the flame they get on the workshop over this.

If things dont change you will end up with a very small elitist group of modders who really shouldnt sit to high on their horse because they are just re purposing assets and doing the simple little updates that are allowed to them.

To anyone who thinks the game being in EA is a good excuse:

If they released the modding tools, they should have been prepared to deal with any feedback, positive and negative. The whole **** point of EA is to look at the feedback and fix/improve the product. Deleting poor reviews and banning people on the forums for it is not even remotely professional, and that’s what they became the moment they started making money off this.

Also, I’m pretty sure the ADK was excessively advertised as a feature. In fact, they even created a modding contest with serious money at stake as bait to attract modders. We all know that mods are what keeps a game alive the longest, apart from MMO games the appeal of which I do not see. That said, the “balance” of this game is already that of a MMO - it starts off easy, becomes a bit of a grind later on, and turns into a ridiculous grind later on, when you need literally hundreds of processed materials to make anything (just processing which can take hours on end). And don’t even get me started on SotF.

I can understand wanting to see your game as a success. But a half-baked DevKit and ****** balancing are very much artificial ways to prolong its lifespan, which contribute nothing to the gameplay itself.

Technical issues and delays are perfectly acceptable in EA. Even in a fully released game, they are understandable.

However, the game has already sold over 2 million copies - without even being released. I think it’s about time they took a step back from marketing their product and put more effort into actually living up to the promises.
Nobody wants another WarZ.