One year after the Unreal Engine 4 public release and with bugs reported months ago, i miss all of this things:
- Where is the the vertical Landscapes LOD performance/feature ?
- Bad realtime shadows for Landscapes and large maps (the shadows disappear at x distance and the editor is limited, even if you enable the ray trace shadows don’t work with the landscape), and this need more options of distances without limit or something to manage the shadows grid, because if for example you create a TopDown then start the problems about the shadows disappear…
- No lightmass hybrid compiler or something using the CPU & GPU at least for people with only one computer, for make the light of a empty landscape i need about 15-30min using 100% of 16G of Ram and the 85-98% of the i7 4770k. (2015)
- The optimization about the BSP & features ?
- Where is the options to place materials in collisions, triggers & shapes ?
- Where is the settings to manage the game packaging, to divide the game in different paks and the patch system?
- An antialiasing without quality lost or blur like MSAA/MLAA ?
- The new foliage shader have an awesome ghosting thanks to the antialiasing and other things.
- The 4.7.x have a huge list of bugs.
- This need better docs & advanced videos/examples/tutorials and no a tutorial about “how make a matchbox with wheels” is a good tutorial for noobs & new people, but is useless for help normal users to make things.
*Have other missing things, but this is the list of the primary problems.
Anyway have new great features, fixes and changes, but without changes like the landscape, lightmass, the light/shadows and bug fixes, i can’t do what i need or i need much more time to make the things.
I can survive without the BSP, package patchs and divisions at the moment but other features or changes or fixes are needed.
Thanks for this awesome free & with source code available engine.