Thick Blood VFX

I’m working on an asset pack of blood effects. I’m trying to make them as PBR and VR ready as possible. What do I mean by that? Well, I’m using vertex animation to allow me to emit meshes instead of flat sprites, so the effects have actual volume. (I am emitting sprites as well to fill out the effects). This means that they will look correct in VR, and that they will be lit and shaded like any other opaque object.

Now, I’m not done yet, but I figured I’d share my progress and see if there are any requests as to what to include in a pack like this. Below is a video of how it looks at the moment. It’s mostly in slowmotion to show how the effects handle light and parallax. I’m showing just a couple of random effects, some over the top/stylized, and some more realistic. I’ll post more as I start to polish and optimize the effects.

I’ve started adding in some decals to go with the particles. Going for a variety of styles and wetness to fit many projects.

New stuff:

Swordslice effects
Bullet impact variations
LODs
Particle decal example blueprint
Global Color Overrides
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WeeUnstead…restricted.gif

Current blood effect categories are:
Directional
Hit/Impact
Gash
Slice
Headshot

What else should I add?

I figured I’d share a preview of the trailer for the pack that shows a bit more of what’s included right now. Complete with cheesy voiceover and everything :slight_smile:

I’ve added a first pass disintegration effect. Just in case you want to get up close and personal with a good sized shotgun/rocketlauncher.

I also spent some time adding cheap thresholddecals to get some movement in there. They are looking a bit rough and I don’t have time to redo them. What do you think, should I leave them in there as a bonus, or take them out?

You can see both here: