There is no good compiler error for Server parameters passed by ref like in Beta

Dear Friends at Epic,

In the beta, if you attempted to pass a parameter by ref to a server function it would throw a very nice compile error like:

Cannot pass function parameters by reference in server functions

I just spent 20 min debugging the below

UFUNCTION(Reliable, Server, WithValidation)
	void JoyInit(FApexSpawnDestroyInfo In_DestroyVibes,bool DestroyImmediately=true);//const FApexSpawnDestroyInfo& In_DestroyVibes,bool DestroyImmediately=true);

because all the compiler says now

is that it cannot find the overloaded function.

Which really is not very helpful by comparison

any of improving this compiler error?

Thanks!

Hi . Would you be able to provide the exact error message that you are seeing now?

Thanks!

Dear ,

It just says the overloaded function can’t be found, which is a very standard error, which is why its so confusing.

#Epic Please Address This

This error just got me again for awhile

“Overloaded function not found” is very non-specific!

#In beta it was great!

“Can’t pass parameters by reference in network functions” or something like that

#Escalation Requested

, please escalate this to whomever can fix it.

Thanks!

PS: I’d give you the exact error, but its very standard, and my compile times are quite long now, its just the regular overloaded function can’t be found error

#Repro

It’s easy to reproduce, just add this parameter to any server function

const FName& MyNetVarPassedByReference

Hi ,

The error you talk about is still emitted, but it’s specifically for when you pass a non-const reference (e.g. I just added a FName& to AQAPawn::ServerEquipWeapon):

QAPawn.h(328): error : In QAPawn: Replicated FName parameters cannot be passed by non-const reference

The passing-by-const-reference shouldn’t be an error at all… this is a code generation bug. I’ll file a bug report for it.

Thanks!

Steve

"The passing-by-const-reference shouldn’t be an error at all… this is a code generation bug. I’ll file a bug report for it.

Thanks!

Steve"

You’re welcome Steve, great to hear from you!

#:heart: