The Last of Us Part 1 - Exploration - UE5

LINK: ArtStation - The Last of Us Part 1 - Exploration - UE5

This is a fan art inspired lighting/composition scene after playing through The last of Us Part I remake on PS5 I wanted to give a mix version of my own Art Direction and the one from the game. This is the first piece of fan art I’m planning to release out of 4.

In this lighting/composition study I’ve used Lumen both for Reflections and Lighting.
DaVinci Resolve for Color LUT and Photoshop for Art Direction tweaks.

5 Likes

Greetings @dottorgrasso !

Welcome back!

Am I understanding correctly that the first picture is a still from within The Last of Us and the final photo is your own re-creation of the scene? I see that you chose to focus on Lumen for this project. What would you say is the greatest thing you learned from this study?

2 Likes

Hello @Get_DOVAH_it there is no reference at all in the frames above, they are all from my own personal composition, it’s a mix of Art Direction between the gritty dark green and high contrast and filmic dark style I usually adopt in my work. I can show you here the inspiration for the kind of perspective and reference from the game.

As for the lumen itself I love the way the GI works on the dark shadowed areas and also the real time reflections. It’s fairly accurate for a quick composition instead of the Path Tracing, which takes a bit of more time.

2 Likes

Amazing work, @dottorgrasso ! I apologize sincerely for my confusion. In comparing the still from The Last of Us, the gritty lighting gives your composition a more urban appeal, like the Matrix or Gotham City. It sets the stage for a no-nonsense mood.

Thank you for sharing your ArtStation and for using UE to create your art! What would you like to test and learn next?

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure, but surely once I have free time again I’ll hop back at it! And thanks for the kind words.

1 Like

Great work !! Would you mind sharing Post Processing and or Color LUTs you used for this ?

Thx