The Landscape tools cause the program to crash on MacOS M series chip with Unreal Engine 5.4.

I recently installed Unreal Engine 5.4.0 on my MacBook Pro 14 inch with the M2 Max chip, running MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1. When I enter landscape edit mode and try to use any of the landscape tools, the program freezes and becomes unresponsive. It remains stuck in this state for hours until I force quit the program.

I experienced a similar issue with version 5.3.2, where some tools partially worked but most of them ended up erasing parts of the landscape instead of performing their intended functions. However, updating to 5.4.0 has further increased this problem.

If anyone has encountered and resolved this issue, I would greatly appreciate any assistance or fixes you can provide.

Same here. Just downloaded unreal. Mac m2 studio. Only sculpt works. Every other tool in the landscape mode seems to freeze Unreal.

Hopefully this gets resolved!

2 Likes

Yes same here with M1 and Sonora 14.3.1
Shame, I am just learning UnReal and have had other discouraging outcomes like this.
The other day with 5.4.1 I could not get mouse focus on anything on an external monitor.