The Horse Starter Kit

Does this mean i can temper with the settings inside Unreal?

Correct- there are many settings in the Physics Properties you can adjust and change to fit your needs. You may adjust the Tail Cloth and Mane cloth seperatly.

also a side note here- the saddle and reins can be switched off, so anyone just looking to add wild horses to their game are in luck too :slight_smile:

Just recently purchased this pack and have to say that you did an amazing job with getting the animations and horses looking realistic; :slight_smile: however I found that re targeting the animations for the rider give major issues with the characters rotation. Looks like a problem with the rootbone in all of the animations in this pack. You should never have to enable rootmotion for a non rootmotion animation to work properly. The re targeted animations cannot be fixed by turning on rootmotion or force root lock. So this basically forces you to use the skeleton that comes with this pack.(If you try to use your own skeleton by re targeting without rootbone checked in retarget manager, you still face the issue of dipping into the ground when blending between other animations) This is a problem because I wanted to incorporate these animations into an existing animation blueprint and rootmotion character controller to switch from player to horse without having to destroy the players pawn and re-spawn it. Please update these animations with a proper fix. Thank you :slight_smile:

–UPDATE–

This is one animation using the the skeleton from this pack. Don’t know why this is happening.

d2adf85cf56a73f469adb32bd6896f8f99e87799.jpeg

I’ll get these animations patched up. The rotation was caused by Maya and Unreal having different up axis settings. its an easy fix. :slight_smile:

is the terrain from the v2.0 included? is looks nice

Thank you sir :slight_smile: I noticed that some of the animations are totally fine and don’t need rootmotion enabled. Also, do you think that this will fix the dip that the character takes when lerping between animations?

Could you add a Unicorn option in a future update?

The environment is made up of open-world-demo-collection assets-https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/open-world-demo-collection
I used to include the full environment, but it added multi GB’s to the download (people were not liking that). So now the demo level just has the terrain to go with the Horses.

I have submitted the updated files to Epic for version 4.15 and 4.16, Let me know if you need the fix for an earlier version. And yes, this should fix your blending issue. It should go live when they get a chance to review it :slight_smile:

This is an interesting idea, Ill add it to the Update request list.

Hey Living systems…
I get my character working with your system fine… the only issue I have is when my character mounts the horse any items I have drops off my character. How do I sync my character to the Horse BP rider? So I can take my items with me. LOL If need pictures please let me know where to send them.

You need the rider to be the same as your character, and any items need to be transferred over. This may take quite a bit of custom work on your end. The problem your running into is in the Level Blueprint when you mount the horse- you are possessing the horse, and your character is destroyed, then the rider character is made visible and mounts the horse. So you need to make sure the rider character is equipped the same as your ThirdPerson character was. Any attachments that were on your ThirdPerson characters sockets need to be attached to sockets on the rider. I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

i can’t find this
i want ‘e’ Key down moment code
where is code?

Open the Level Blueprint and look for the Input Action Use node. This handles the mounting and dismounting of the Horse. :slight_smile:

Hi Living Systems,

first, awesome job on this pack, kudos!..

now i ran into an issue and thought you could help me out. I don’t want to waste to much of your time so i try to be as precise as possible.

I wanted to swap the horse and the Rider with my own Characters, they both have different skeletons from the original ones. I retargetet your original animations to my Horse and Rider and that worked fine. Later i also replaced some of the Animations my own.

Than I swaped out the skeletal meshes in the ThirdPerson- and the Rideable Horse Blueprints according the the description you gave in an earlier post, that worked out as well.

The problem i have now is that all the animations and controls work fine appart from the mounting and dismounting. It just doesn’t play the mounting animation of the character. When i press E he is already in riding position and only the horse plays the mounting animation underneath him. Riding than works fine but when i try to dismount than again only the horse plays the dismount animation but the character stays on the horse and i can’t get him down.

I’m aware that the problem could be in a million places, but may you have a clue what the problem could be. Is there maybe some information in the Unreal Character Skeleton itself that my character doesn’t have?

Thanks!
Markus.S

EDIT…
Aktually i just remembered that after just swapping the meshes i wasn’t even able to mount at all. I hade to update your horse with mine be completely reimporting it. So i assume i could do the same with the rider as well to make it work but out of educational curiousity it would be intressting to know why it doesn’t work here by simply swapping the Meshes in the Blueprint

Thanks for Supporting the Horse Starter Kit.
If you are having issues concerning the mount and dismount animations the best place to start looking is in the Level Blueprint.
Near the top after the Begin Play is a section called “Set Horse and Player Variables” Be sure to swap out the ThirdPersonCharacter Blueprint with your custom characters blueprint.
Was that the fix?

No unfortunately not. I looked into the Level Blueprint but in the “Set Horse and Player Variables” area there istn’t much i can change apart from assigning other Blueprints. And actually i use the ThirdPersonCharacter Blueprint for my one Character as well, i just replaced the white Bot with my own mesh, so i don’t really have my own character Blueprint.
I think the mein Problem is me not knowing enough about blueprints in general, i’m more in the szene setup and animation business XD.
Something simply breaks as soon as i plug my skeletal meshes into the existing RideableHorse Blueprints.

Well i keep digging.

Did you add the new re targeted animations to your animation blueprint?

Yes i performed the retargeting on the animation blueprints of the horse and the rider.

Ok the visual debugging feature in the Bluprints helped me to track down the problem… i think…

in the Level Blueprint in the Mount and Dismount areas there are these cast nodes for the Horse- and for the Rider Blueprints…

While the Horse Blueprint entries for my custom horse update properly, the Blueprint definition for the Rider does not with my own Character…
eventhough i replaced my Character in the “BP_Rideable_DarkBrown_Horse” Blueprint…

Did i miss something in the process of replacing stuff? :frowning:

try opening that Horse_Rider_Anim_Blueprint, are you able to preview “your mesh” with the mounting and dismounting animations? if not- you may need to create a new animation blueprint for your character.
however you say the horse is working fine?

The “Horse_Rider_Anim_Blueprint_New” is the Blueprint of my custom Chatacer, and yes it plays all of the retargetet animations porperly including the Mount and Dismount animation. Also yes, the Horse doesn’t seam to cause any problems so far.