The Future of Audio in Unreal Engine | GDC 2017 | Unreal Engine + Ableton Live

I’m interested to know If i can set up a blueprint/C++ script to intake audio from Ableton Live as it’s happening.

At the very end of this talk the man sitting down (apologies on forgetting his name), brings up that he can have ableton live send midi data into unreal engine.
This is exactly what I’m trying to figure out, if you click this link it will go straight to the point where he talks about it.

Where can I get started to accomplish this?

Hi !

The experiment I was referring to was this one:

I used a free MIDI utility called LoopBe1 which allowed me to have a virtual MIDI device (a single MIDI Port) which I could route between applications. In this case, I set the LoopBe1 as my output MIDI and on UE4, used the MIDI Input Support with input taking in the LoopBe1.

In this way, I was able to transmit 16 channels of MIDI data from Ableton Live to UE4.

There’s a sticky about how to design a MIDI input manager with Blueprints and the MIDI Input Device Plugin:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/audio/117240-setting-up-a-blueprint-midi-manager-with-4-14-version-of-midi-device-support-plugin

2 Likes

you’re the man!

This is exactly what I’m looking to do, essentially I want to create a ton of samplers in UE4 that will be triggered via MIDI sent in real time from ableton.

My issue is that I get a debug of all these Virtual midi controllers, how do I select which controller I want to use? It shows up all these controllers but I’m not sure how to tell it which one to listen to?

I’ve copied your midi manager blueprint exactly to the bone.

Also how can I go about triggering an Audio sample via midi sent from ableton in unreal engine?

I’ve attached 2 screenshots One of a debug and one of ableton

Any help is much appreciated :slight_smile:

We done a concert 2 years ago, using Ableton controlling Unreal and vice versa. We used OSC through Osculator.

So I know this post is a bit outdated, i wanted to have a look at the midi manager that got posted here to input the different channels. I’m working on something similar but the link redirects me to a broken page. The way I’m getting the different inputs is with the OSCAddress, but I’m sure that getting the channels would be way more modular and performant. Any help would be greatly appreciated!