The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version: UE4Editor-[GameName].dylib

Hi all,
I just pushed for the first time an UE4 project from a git repo and, when trying to open the project, I get this error:

Missing [GameName] Modules
The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:
UE4Editor-[GameName].dylib

where [GameName] is the name of the project.

The project has been created on a Windows machine, while I’m working on a Mac computer, and I guess that’s where the problem comes from. Can anyone help me solving this?

Thanks.

Hello, zhed

In this case, please recompile your project on a Mac computer.

Hope this helped!

Cheers!

1 Like

How do I do that? I tried right-clicking on the uproject file but I can’t find the option to compile the project.

Please note that in this situation you should compile the project from source in XCode.

How is this answered?

I have the same issue here using UE 4.8.3.
What are the steps to “recompile your project on a Mac computer”?

Thanks,

I’m with these guys; what does that mean? How do I do that? I’m a sound guy, not a programmer, and I’m feeling completely out of my depth here

Open the Epic Games Launcher, go to the Library, find your project in the “My Projects” tab, double click on it, it should give you this error:

The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:
UE4Editor-[GameName].dll
Would you like to rebuild them now?

Click yes.

I click yes, but it gives me another error.

ShowdownVRDemo(project) could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually.

Hello , did you ever find an answer to this problem? I’m having the same thing: switching from windows to mac.

did you ever figure it out?

The same problem and there’s no decision yet. It’s 2022 already lol

did you figure it out lol i am having the same problem too?

Hey! So yes, I know the decision now - you should create new project and get the new folder in the UE4 projects folder (it will be created automatically). Then you should copy everything from your real project folder to this new one EXCEPT saves and .uproject file and run it. In my case it worked BUT there’s still a problem - it will not recompile your project, it will just solve the problem with modules. But how to recompile (on MacOS in my case) I don’t know :frowning:

This message appears when your source code (c++ (.cpp / .h files)) have changed, or requires compilation.

1. Install Visual Studio Community 2019, a free programmer tool used to compile source code.
  2. You right click the .uproject file in the project folder and select “generate visual studio files”
  3. Open the generated .sln file.
  4. Right click the project name in Visual Studio and click compile. Wait until the source is built (without errors), after that you can start the project in Unreal Engine.