The Flame in the Flood - new game announcement

Hi all,

I wanted to share the project I and a small team have been working on for the past few months, which we just rolled out on Kickstarter. & the folks at Epic have tweeted about it and helped spread the word, so you may have already seen it. For context, I’m the designer, and am handling all the blueprint and non-C++ logic sides of implementation.

It’s called The Flame in the Flood, and it’s a rogue-lite survival game in which you raft a procedurally generated river while trying to remain warm, hydrated, and fed, as hungry predators and rain bare down on you. You can check out the kickstarter campaign, or just watch the video on Youtube:

Our tech artist & animator, Gwen, also just posted a brief video about her use of animation blending with quadrupeds. We haven’t promoted it widely, since it’s pretty technical, but I thought this might be a good forum to share.

It’s being built in Unreal 4 (naturally), as a mix of blueprints and native C++ driving all the logic. We’ve been working on it for just over 4 months so far, and have been really happy with the progress. The footage is all in game (with some camera liberties being taken), we’ve got a working HUD, and generally have been able to stand this up incredibly fast.

I appreciate any feedback, or would be happy to field any questions you may have about the project, tech or otherwise.

Wow , just wow.
It looks more like an adventure survival game, i don’t see much Rogue like fights. Does the game have some ending ?

Looking great guys! Getting close to that funding goal :slight_smile:

Looking amazing guys.

Truly Epic!

We chose the term “rogue-lite” very intentionally. Procedural world, permadeath, but no tile based movement or turn based combat. FTL is a huge influence in terms of structure. Relatively short to play in a sitting, incredibly hard to master & complete, but able to be completed in a sitting if you really know what you’re doing. That’s the idea at least. I hope I’m a good enough designer to pull it off :slight_smile:

Looking good! I love the art style and I can’t wait to see more of your game! :slight_smile:

Man that looks amazing! Also like the idea of the gameplay approach :slight_smile:

Keep us posted!

Amazing!! I would love to give this game a shot when it is fully released. Kind of reminds me of ‘Don’t Starve’. Fantastic job Stuckbug. Be sure to keep us updated as you progress along in the development of your project. Have a great day!

That song in combination with the video made me shiver. Superb, guys. Superb.

Amazing stuff. Love the art style, & the kind of game I would like to play!

Friggin love it and that trailer is simply stunning. I can’t remember the last time a trailer has made me actually google the musician and listen to his stuff.

wow so cool, well done guys!

I can see this game will get some well deserved attention when released, and I agree with the comments above re the music, it’s hard to imagine a more perfect choice.
One of the great benefits of involvement in these forums is the opportunity to find gems like this.
I’ll be pointing both my kids to this game when released and will show them this trailer when they get home from school, they need to see what they can achieve with imagination, determination and UE4 combined.

Awww thanks Linz. It’s a good combination. I’d also add working with great people to the list.

Already backed it :wink: I really like the setting, how you designed the world, how the animations look like, how the music does its job. Reaaaally nice work :slight_smile:
Iam looking forward to how you will progress with this project!

Woaooow!!! The trailer is freakin !!! The gameplay concept is quite revolutionary I think. Great job!

Perfect! Realy perfect!

looking grat. compliments :wink:

fantastic trailer! :smiley:
great job guys. the music and the whole style of it work so wonderfully together.