The Eternal Temple | Better Light Than Never

The Eternal Temple - Unreal Challenge

(The Eternal Temple - Unreal Challenge: Better Light Than Never - YouTube)

Student Submission: No

Credits to sourced content:
Game Assets
· Scene Layout and background meshes - Sun Temple - Epic Games
· Petals and marble textures - Megascans - Quixel
· Cloud shader - Ultra Dynamic Sky - Everett Gunther [UE Marketplace]
· Music - Bittersweet - Punch Deck (CC BY 3.0 license)

Screenshot:

Description:

This project started with a cylinder, an “animated” emissive material, and a regular plane.
I wanted to test if it was possible to light a scene using emissive geometry, and how fast would Lumen react to sudden changes in lighting.
Basically, it worked quite well; and about two weeks later, this is the result.

Here’s two screenshots showing the difference between Lumen GI and Reflections and the regular Screen Space based solution.

Engine version: 5.0.2

15 Likes

This entire scene is so dreamy. I was expecting something kind of techy or cyberpunk with the lighting at the beginning. Then I got this beautiful temple moment. It’s just stunning.

Incredible work and goodluck in the competition! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

gorgeous! Love the idea of lighting the scene with only emissions at first!

5 Likes

Just adorable… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi! This is fantastic! great submission! I was aswell recently trying to wrap my head around an animated light like that. I was wondering if you can give a little bit more details on how you achieved the animation of that mesh?

How can you create that complex curvy shape and how can let the shape grow from 0 to end.! Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for the comment =). The animation was achieved in a very simple manner, though this way of doing it won’t work for every case.

It’s a curve with its lenght UV unwrapped along the U axis (treating it like some kind of timeline).

Then in the material I just compare the UVs of the mesh with a value ranging from 0 to 1 (in my case I animated this value using the sequencer and a Material Parameter Collection).

Here’s a screenshot for clarity, english ain’t my native language and I’m not sure I made any sense at all xD.

Hope this helps! =)

5 Likes

Waow ! It’s incredible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Epic!!

2 Likes

Genial! Thank you =)

1 Like

Awesome work !! I think we have a winner already :wink:

4 Likes

Seriously?
This submission is definitely the winner in my opinion.
Beautiful, thoughtful and wonderful.
Incredible work!

3 Likes

This is the winner, definitely.