The Discovery Section is horrible and seems to ignore UEFN builds

What is going on with Fortnite’s Discovery Page? I have been working on dozens of platforms for decades and when we heard that Epic Games was releasing UEFN we thought that the quality of the content would go up and the opportunity would be huge but the Discovery Page makes you realize it isn’t worth bothering. It seems that it almost exclusively favors 1.0 creations and does not hold up to the approval process that UEFN has to deal with. The thumbnails alone show that clickbait thumbnails with stolen IP and game mechanics like “Stand here for an hour for XP” are what dominate the discovery page. There are just “worse versions of fortnite” as we were told by everyone we try to onboard. For a company that claims to have an 80%+ playerbase of over 18, the 90% of Discovery Page Islands full of screaming children make us really wonder how true that number was.

The honest truth is anyone with “Metaverse” experience can look at that Discovery Page and see a real issue. If Epic Games wants us to use UEFN and build experiences then they need to make some serious changes to whatever or lack of system that is making that Discovery Page so unappealing to new players.

Now I have heard everything under the sun about thumbnails, how it is just what it is, the spaces are popular and so on but look at that Discovery Page and tell me why we should waste our time. Half of the thumbnails are deceptive at best and the rest are just no effort involved. The entire thing makes the instructions on how to make UEFN islands more discoverable a pure slap in the face.

6 Likes

It’s frustrating seeing IP violating content like this featured in my UEFN discovery feed for days ongoing…

3 Likes

This creator is one of the worst, has over 100 maps with IP violating content. Ultra low-effort, uses same island over and over again, just uses new c

lickbait thumbnails.

Tricked my little kid into playing one of these maps because of the clickbait thumbnail. My kid was still happy playing it for awhile, because at the end of the day, it was still generic Fortnite, which is still fun.

4 Likes

Been flagging them but they never remove anything flagged. The system is just beyond broken and the small amount of exploitative people know the loophole and Epic knows where it’s bread and butter come from if you get the drift.

2 Likes

From what I understand the whole Discover page system has been an ongoing learning process while Epic tries to learn what works best. I agree though, and hope your comment gets seen and others like it because Discover is a mess. IMO they need to emphasize a more curated approach for more rows (epics pick’s, fortnite pro player’s picks, popular streamers picks, ect) and leave the algorithmic rows at the very bottom, or on their own page entirely. Then they could fine tune the algorithm more so in the background while keeping the game fresh and exciting.

1 Like

What seems to be going on is Epic Games saw the massive amounts of money Roblox was making while taking no responsibility for the massive IP Theft and Scams because of them being a “hosting” platform. The content creators get the heat form the IP holder while the platform is allowed to keep it’s profits made. Epic knows the Discovery is a mess but only defend the system with BS because they know it is driving the traffic and revenue. Sad part is we are going to be out of business as a game development studio at the end of this month because we bought into the lies Epic spin about UEFN. Think about this… Why isn’t Epic Games store flooded with IP theft, clickbait and scams? Could you imagine the Epic Games Store being top to bottom with OnlyUp and Red VS Blue with Mr Beast on every thumbnail?

I’m a programmer, not a lawyer, but I wonder if Epic is opening themselves up for a massive IP lawsuit.

It’s one thing to say you’re just a platform (perhaps they can do that in general) but it’s another for Epic to take action to promote IP theft by adding obviously offending content to their Discovery page.

2 Likes

With user generated content the creator will get hit with IP suit before the platform. The platform will go as far as provide the IP holder with the creators info while profiting from it. Roblox has been doing it for years and has made Billions , that is what made Epic take notice. I am wondering if Epic is leaving themselves open to class action lawsuits from game development studios who bought into these lies. Imagine if the Epic Games store looked like Discovery Page. Why isn’t it like that?

This topic comes up maybe once a month or so and I’ve always wondered why this is the one topic that ALL Epic staff ignore, even the bots StevieMoon and AlienLady don’t accidentally come in and ask somebody to report a bug. Now I understand why despite everybody signing an agreement to not use IP content. Epic literally doesn’t care… Over 100 maps by one person?? That’s nuts. What about the posts that come up here of islands being rejected due to some tiny piece of music, a bad thumbnail (somebody posted that they had to take the glow off of a weapon in the thumb) or some benign item (somebody reported that a grass model had been flagged)? I don’t understand that.

1 Like

They don’t just ignore it but they defend it. Funny you mentioned the Bots, we noticed some of the fake bot names even contain racial slurs so yeah. Epic knows that Roblox made billions and did it all off the backs of creators and stolen IP. Epic saw that and said “hold my beer.”

Imagine if the Epic Game Store looked like Discovery page yet they are the same company?

We even lack simple filter and search options so Epic is forcing the players to play these games without any other options.

People are using direct art from Disney movies:

1 Like

Elsagate Meets Creative 2.0 and Fortnite: Battling IP Theft on the Discovery Page

In the rapidly evolving realm of online content and entertainment, a curious trend has emerged that bears a striking resemblance to the infamous Elsagate controversy of the past. This time, the concern is not confined to the broad expanse of the internet but has found its way into the Creative 2.0 mode of Fortnite. What makes this situation even more troubling is the rampant IP theft running wild on the Discovery Page of these platforms. In this article, we’ll delve into the unfolding situation and discuss possible ways to address this alarming issue specific to Creative 2.0 and Fortnite while highlighting the concerning use of stolen intellectual property (IP).

The Elsagate Parallels:

Elsagate, a term born from the Watergate scandal, was used to describe a disturbing phenomenon on YouTube and YouTube Kids. It revolved around seemingly child-friendly videos featuring beloved characters that concealed inappropriate and distressing content. These videos ranged from violence and sexual innuendos to graphic imagery, often set to nursery rhymes and presented in low-budget, low-effort productions. With some videos being live-action and others animated, they proved particularly enticing to young viewers. Elsagate was a stark revelation in the world of online content.

Creative 2.0 and Fortnite:

Today, the concern is that a similar trend is making its way into the Creative 2.0 mode of Fortnite. We’re all familiar with rivalries like McDonald’s vs. Burger King or Nike vs. adidas, passionately fought in various forms. Now, it appears that this competitive dynamic is resurfacing and being exploited in the digital realm, specifically within Fortnite’s Creative 2.0 mode but not by the original IP holders.

Fortnite, one of the world’s most popular online games, offers players an arena for creativity and innovation through its Creative mode. However, as the platform expands and evolves, concerns arise about the content featured in Creative 2.0. Much like the Elsagate videos, it appears that some creators are using this space to steal brand awareness to produce content that is not suitable for its intended audience. What’s even more concerning is the rampant use of stolen intellectual property (IP) from brands, characters, and franchises within this space.

The Rampant IP Theft:

One of the most troubling aspects of this situation is the widespread theft of intellectual property (IP) that runs rampant on the Discovery Page. Creators are incorporating well-known brands, characters, and franchises without proper authorization, leading to a host of legal and ethical concerns. This not only tarnishes the integrity of the Creative 2.0 mode but also infringes upon the rights of content creators and brand owners.

Seeking Solutions:

Given this disconcerting situation, we must ask ourselves: What can be done to address this issue within Creative 2.0 and Fortnite, especially in light of rampant IP theft? Should we disengage from this trend, exploit it for financial gain while it remains unregulated, or actively lobby for a change? It’s a complex dilemma that warrants careful consideration.

Some claim to choose to create content that highlights the issue of IP theft within Fortnite as a form of protest, using this medium to make a statement. This approach not only raises awareness but also emphasizes the need for stronger measures to protect intellectual property.

Conclusion:

The parallels between Elsagate and the current trend in Creative 2.0 within Fortnite are impossible to ignore. As the digital world continues to evolve at a rapid pace, we must remain vigilant to ensure that online entertainment platforms prioritize the safety and well-being of their users, especially children.

Additionally, addressing the rampant IP theft on the Discovery Page is crucial to maintaining the integrity of the platform and respecting the rights of content creators and brand owners. Whether we choose to confront this issue head-on, seek constructive solutions, or use creative means of protest within the platform, it is essential that we collectively address this situation before it becomes an even more serious concern. Our actions today will shape the digital landscape of Fortnite for tomorrow, and it is our duty to ensure it remains a safe, ethical, and enriching environment for all players.

3 Likes