The Devil's Eight

Lust - New Transition Shader

Working on a new shader for Lust’s transition state, now when you fight the two of them the background space turns into this red lockdown state. Just need to get it to react to the music.

Lust Lockdown Visualizer

Here’s an update on the shader I was working on. Now the background reacts to the bass kick of the soundtrack and vibrates the grids like speakers. Quick little video showcasing all music visualizers working and the boss’s dancing.

Shield Update

We added perfect shielding! If you wait till the last moments to counter an attack you get a frame advantage on the shielding state and you recover half the damage the hit would have taken in health.

Music Visualizer Update

The music visualizer in the background now turns red every time you hurt Limbo to help show that it’s his health bar.

Second Boss Malus

Here’s some gifs of Malus. In the the second Circle, Lust’s battle is divided into two halfs. The player will flip back and forth between the two throughout the battle. Malus has his own version of lasers and projectile attacks.

Lust - Boss transition

Here’s an example of the player switching between the two bosses, this transition actually got updated pretty recently. I will post update of the transition effects soon.

Lust - Shader transition update

Here’s that update I mentioned. I had finished the shader a while back but it still needed to be added to the transition of lockdown. It’s been so fun seeing Lust change over time with each new update and addition. Definitely excited to start working on the visuals for the next boss.

Player - Hurt Effects

Hey, it’s been a while but there’s definitely been updates on the game. Here’s some updated hurt effects for the player when he’s hit with projectiles. Used a dynamic material for the red flash on the player and ragdoll physics for some procedural animations.

Malus - GamePlay

Here’s just a glimpse of some of the gameplay, still needs lots of balancing but definitely want to keep it as hectic.

Lust - Visualizer update

Simple effect update on the music visualizer. It now switches between pink and blue depending on which side of the ring is currently up and it reacts to the boss getting damaged to help further reinforce the fact that they represent the boss’ health.

Here’s the latest gameplay trailer showcasing Lust

Imgur post

Hey, we shared a imgur post today to help promote The Devil’s Eight to more people. If you haven’t seen the Lust gameplay video yet the post has a link to the video at the bottom. Also we posted it to get player feedback on what they think of it so far. Check it out if you get a chance and would appreciate to hear any thoughts or opinions on the gameplay, art, music, etc.

http://imgur.com/t/gaming/j9Lp7

This game looks totally awesome. Love what I’m seeing thus far!!!

Heresy - Minions

Took a break from posting updates to the game here but I’m back with a bunch of new content. Heresy is the latest boss were currently working on and is the first to showcase minions. Heresy has two minions which are spider bots that explode on contact and helicopter turrets that chase the player

Man this is awesome work. Is it just you creating this beast?

Thanks Joshua! The Devil’s Eight is a two man team. I’m lead designer, I handle all the art, animations and visual effects. My partner on the project is Lead Developer, he does all the coding and AI programming. Together were Second Step Studios!

Heresy - The Machine

Those who have lived a good life do not fear death. When his time came the heretic cowered before judgment and refused to let fate take him. Cast into madness he began to discard that which made him mortal, leaving his humanity behind. In his attempts to achieve immortality he would take the lives of the innocent, siphoning their blood to fuel the machine.

Heresy

A couple weeks back we finally started animating the machine and adding particle effects. It’s always so cool when I first start to really see them come to life, more Heresy updates soon.

I honestly love this. You got 1 guaranteed sale already. Very unique look. Finally something different and not a rehash of a popular game hoping to earn some quick bucks. Props bro! really. the artistic feel is awesome.

Thanks!, appreciate all the support. Working hard to create a unique and memorable experience can be tough sometimes, but hearing kind words and validation makes it a lot easier.