The Bone exists only on the skeleton but not on the current mesh.

So here is a picture with the default mannequin:

And this is what I get when I try to change skeletal meshes.

Hi, I have same problem. Its uppear when you try to reimport you skeleton with new bones (added in 3d software). And here my decision.

1. Create new project whith same hierarhy of folders (from content to you skeleton).
  2. import in this project new skeleton whith changed or added new bones
  3. migrate skeleton asset to you primary project. if folder path are same - you got updated skeleton whithout this gray bones.
    if you know another speed way, tell pls.
2 Likes

Thank you Eugine. That solution actually worked!

@Hunanbean I am not familiar with that method. Is there a way to elaborate further on the steps and dumb it down for me? I’m newer but not new to Unreal Engine and this is a common issue I am finding.

@anonymous_user_46d25822 I do not think i could explain it any differently… I just followed his steps

@Hunanbean I’m also having the same problem, just not sure about how you add the new bone to the mesh as Eugine said in his 2. step. Do you do it in a external software?
This is really annoying.
Thx

Importing the target skeletal mesh into Maya or 3dsmax, etc.Open Scene Explorer, we can see “Dummy” and our mesh. Finding the missing bone, Add an Dummy with the same name and at the same level. It is best to export the source skeletal mesh as well, We can easily transform the added Dummy to the same position and rotation as the source skeletal mesh.Finally, just re-import the model,and re-designate the skeleton.