The Art of Maths - my first unreal engine 5 short film

Hi ! I just made my first film in unreal engine 5. Earlier I did a few other animations in blender but unreal engine 5 is much better. Lumen and Megascans make the creation process very easy. My video The Art of Maths shows parametric surfaces. These are figures that are described using mathematical equations. These are like three dimensional mathematical graphs. Feel free to take a look.

the art of math - short film

6 Likes

Hey there @Wenentro,

Hope you’re having a wonderful week so far.

Huge congrats on your first UE5 short film! :partying_face: :heartpulse:

I was far too entranced by the pretty flowers and fairy-figure taking center stage to notice the sculptures littered around the scene. But then I watched the video and I totally geeked out. What an impressive way to show off your skills!
I’ve always wondered what math geniuses’ minds look like, and from this point forward, I will solely picture this.
Marvelous job at setting a scene and showing off a talent or two. Also, thanks so much for sharing it with us here on the Unreal Engine Forums and letting us take a step into your world for a moment.

Cheers and happy future developing. Sending lots of support!

1 Like

I’m so happy that you like my movie.

Making those flowers that you like so much was very easy. I just need to download the model from the megascans and use procedural foliage. If you know how to do it, there are only a few clicks.

If you want, you can try the equations from my video to get a closer look at the models. You can use them in a blender or in a 3D calculator eg https://www.geogebra.org/m/BjV7cNwb

2 Likes

This is so interesting. Would you ever consider making a video on how you made this film? I’d be very interested in seeing it built :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For now, I’m more interested in making new videos. Doing a tutorial can be a little hard.

1 Like

Fair enough! :slight_smile:

1 Like

amazing work!

1 Like

Thanks

Hi!
I love the atmosphere and the creative way you have shown your skills! I would work a bit more on LOD distances and on better arrangement for the sculptures - it is very hard to read what written and the constant panning of the camera left and right seems could be avoided. then more time could be spent of looking at the actual sculptures and understanding them!

It is still amazing though! Can’t wait to see what else you’ve got! :sparkles:

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. I’ve had a lot of trouble with LOD and I don’t know how I could fix it.It looks the worst when you look down on it. Do you know how this could be improved?

Im not sure what you mean by when you look down on it? LOD are calculated based on the screen space the mesh takes up. Here is a thread that might help you - Changing LOD distances? LODs and foliage?
When you look from the top, i assume the mesh takes a very very small space, so it switches to the lowest LOD. This is just a speculation though.
Try messing with the settings and see if it fixes it, there was someone who mentioned that reimporting the mesh also fixed some issues!
Best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks. After a few changes, foliage looks much better

1 Like