"The actor is so big that it creates a pre-shadow and there would be a loss of performance"(Be cast shadow has set to false)"

I am working with a very large static mesh (spacecraft) and its shadow was working properly and performance was great, until it suddenly happens when I open the editor again and in the note output this message (which is in the title) appears, so the shadows are not cast. Is it possible to bypass the graphics engine and delete the parameter in the source code that automatically deactivates shadows?

This issue is caused when using movable meshes that are very large causing the entire scene to have to be re-rendered into the preshadow depth map. I don’t believe that there is a way to disable the error.

Your best bet is to break your mesh up into smaller pieces or reduce the size of the mesh itstelf.

See the following for more info:

I had this exact same error in a basic level, and it was referencing a floor and 4 walls that were not that big, like the width of a large house for the walls and the width/length of 4 large houses for the floor. Plus, I even disabled cast shadows on the floor. How I got rid of the error message is setting the meshes to stationary, I think. It may require also setting one or more of the lights to stationary too. But any time I switch the meshes or the lights to dynamic, the error occurs again. It should be a warning w/o the turning off of the shadow render.

2 Likes

It didn’t help, it looks like I’ll have to export the static mesh to 3dmax and redo the light mapping.