The absence of Displacement in UE5

Hello Community!

I have a question about material displacement.
I am trying to get indentations effects on my pebble material.
As I see displacement section is gone in UE5. (Currently, I use 5.0.1)

I searched about how can I get this effect without a displacement section from the material screen, some people say modeling tools can handle it with displacement textures such as UE4. I tried to do that but the indentations were not clean and proper.

I wonder whether you find the answer?

Have a nice day you all!

6 Likes

Guys, I searched about it and I found a solution.
I used the Quixel Mixer and created a material. After, I import it to UE5 and remesh a plane from the modeling tool.

( Key part is that plane from actor panel cant be used for displaced material because of some virtual texture issues, instead of that use plane from starter content, remesh & rename it.)

You don’t have to you Quixel Mixer to get a material with a displacement texture,

The solution is setting displacement by using modeling tools and not using the geometry shapes from the actor panel. Use meshes from the content drawer or any flat area. Otherwise, remeshing and virtual texture problems don’t let you apply displacement if you use meshes from the actor panel.

3 Likes

Have you tried using Virtual Heightfield Mesh

1 Like

Some people said it doesnt work with nanite?

I don’t think that landscapes are supported in Nanite yet, and I thought you were talking about the displacement missing in the landscape material, like a pebble material used for painting pathways or something like that.

If you are talking about singular meshes it’s definitely more efficient to remesh them with their displacement map and take advantage of Nanite.

1 Like

I get it clearly. Thank you!