Texture Scaling?

Sorry, I am sure this has been asked plenty of times, but I am not finding an answer and with a 1Mb connection, posting is faster.
I am following the getting started tutorial, everything is working great except for the ground that is supposed to be grass looks like a big green sponge.

grass1.jpg

So with the “good grass”, I made a bunch of small cubes. But the “bad grass” is just one large cube.
I don’t want to create a billion of these cubes, and I am sure there has to be some way to UV Map them or scale the texture.

To scale your texture, open your material and add TextureCoordinate node, plug it into your UV texture input and then you can change scaling (tiling) of texture via UTiling and VTiling options:

You could also delete the ground, add a cube static mesh, and change the shape in the Details tab, e.g. X 2000, Y 2000, Z 10.

This will give you a large flat surface. As long as the Scale is still 1.0 (which it will be) the grass texture you add to it will not be stretched out.

TexCoord Linking

Do I link the TexCoord to anything?

You simply plug it into the UV port of your grass texture sample, as pictured by Slavq.

You can also multiply the tex coordinate by constant parameters and adjust the tiling through material instances, which makes it easier to see the changes as you tweak.

How do I do this?

You’ll need a tex coordinate, multiply, 2 constants, and an append. Append the two constants together, and plug the append into the B input of the multiply. Plug the tex coordinate into the A input. Set the UV tiling values in the coordinate to 1, and the constant values to 1. The constant that is plugged into the A input of the append corresponds with the U value of the tex coordinate, while the constant plugged into the B input corresponds with the V value. Plug the output of the multiply into the UV input of any texture, create a material instance of that material and then tweak the values “live” and watch it take effect in your editor viewport.