Texture Sampler source, why not use shared by default?!

okay i think the title is pretty much self explanatory! i mean by default its set to “From texture asset” and as y’all know by changing it to one of shared ones we can use up to 128 textures if we want to, so its better! right?! or are we losing something by changing the sampler source to one of shared ones? if “From texture asset” is the limited one, when one might want to use this option?
tnx!

1 Like

Just going by the property description, I guess two reasons why you wouldn’t want it on by default is if you are using UV manipulation, and if the texture is a normal map or some other type of texture that you don’t want to use “world” filtering on.

But I’d also like to know for sure if there is any other downside, like increased texture memory - I posted a thread here too:

Epic’s DanielW answered here:

The only reason we didn’t make Shared: wrap the default was to avoid breaking existing materials. There’s no downside to using shared samplers if the settings match what you want, only upsides. On AMD GPU’s used in the consoles, shared samplers are slightly faster as well.