Texture mipmaps and streaming

Hello everyone,

I am using UE4 for a long time ago now… But there is something I really don’t understand about the mipmaps.
I have read the documentations and many subjects about it but I can’t find the solution that suit to my game.

The problem is :
I have done a lot of icons in my inventory UI for my weapons, armors, misc… Texture are in 256x256 and are really light (approximately 35ko for an icon).

When I launch the game, icons textures are blurred. I know that come from the mipmaps (I tried selected the no mipmap option and it works well).

But is it really good to disable the mipmaps on all my icones ? I know the mipmaps are important for the game so is it really a good idea to do that ? And if the answer is “yes”, is there a way to do it more quicky and to not have to open each icon and change it ? I think the answer of this question is no but anyway…

I am sorry about my mistakes I haven’t a perfect english…

Thank you a lot in advance for your help and your time !

All the best

If your icons are used for UI only, and are scale appropriately, then yes I’d think it would be okay to disable your mipmaps for those textures.

Instead of manually setting the MipMap settings, look into setting the TextureGroup to UI on your texture. That will disable mipmaps for that texture, as well as set some other settings that are helpful for UI textures.

If you select all of your icon textures in the content browser, you can use the bulk edit option to set the Texture group on all the textures at once.

Oh I didn’t know that the bulk edit button exist ! Thank you so much I will save a lot of time now.
And thank you also for all your tips, I will do what you explain before :slight_smile:

Sorry for the double post but I have a little question.
I also have armors in my game and a lot of textures for it. The texture are often heavy. By default I have mipmaps activated for this but it always become blur to. For my tests, I have first disable all the mipmaps but I know it is not good so I will enable them. But what can I do for blur effect ? Can I change something in the mipmap setting in order to decrease the texture quality if needed but not that much ?
Thank you again for your time and help.