Texture Bombing, Requests and Questions

It may not be my place to speak, my knowledge of Material Shaders and Editor is primitive to say the least, so take what I say with a grain of salt, or give the salt back to me in the form of knowledge :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to allow us to use Texture Samples instead of Texture2d? I only ask because I make heavy use of instanced materials and would love to be able to change the textures being used instead of manually going into a function and changing them. There may be a justified reason for only allowing Texture2d inputs, idk.

Iā€™m also going to assume that this function still needs to be worked on by Epic, I havenā€™t come across a pre built function that still includes parameters (left over from debugging(?)), would it be possible to get rid of them? It adds unnecessary clutter to instanced materials.

Iā€™ll be making my own version of the function so itā€™s really no biggie to me, but Iā€™m curious as to why you only allow Texture2d before I go ahead.

Cheers,

p.s, so far I love this function, has proven very very useful in the short amount of time Iā€™ve used it

So, a while ago, I broke out the texture bombing functionality into a whole bunch of disparate material functions. It wasā€¦ Actually non-trivial.

Dropbox - File Deleted (put this in Content/materials/functions/ in order to preserve references on initial load). But Iā€™ll warn you, this is what it did to my terrain shader:

Now, granted, I got tired of dealing with this and eventually just disabled the bombing, so this is not the best solution in the whole wide world, but it could be a start. And it cut down on the instruction count of the material substantially.

Awesome bud, Iā€™ll take a gander and see what I can take away from it.

Also, ā€œBut Iā€™ll warn you, this is what it did to my terrain shaderā€, curious to know what it did to your Terrain Shader as thatā€™s what I am using this functionality for, ty :slight_smile:
Oh, unless youā€™re referring to the tangled mess? Itā€™s fine, gotten used to working in such cramped environments (I get homesick coming from Blueprint scripting sometimes), heres hoping I can smoothly transition my distance blend into the mix, cheers

It ended up just not being worth the performance cost, really. The landscape shader was already pretty hefty, and the texture bombing took it over my budget. It worked (minus some seams that I never ended up hunting down), though.

Hmmmā€¦ Iā€™ll have to see how much it eats on my side, currently my shader isnā€™t too complicated, theres been a lot of functionality I could do without, so weā€™ll have to see if I can get away with it.

Thanks

Hey, I know this isnā€™t a help thread, but I was wondering if Iā€™m missing something important, it doesnā€™t seem to work with landscapes out of the box

Cheers,

I think Iā€™m confused or your test texture is just blowing up my brain this morning, but it looks to be working on the landscape?

Haha my apologies, needed quick texture that I could tell if itā€™s being ā€˜bombedā€™ or not.

Ok, as I was preparing a new image to post I found something strange, it only seems to work on the landscape when using specific numbers, it may be because it tiles back up on itself which duh, pretty obvious come to think of it :L
Soz, and and for taking the time to reply so early haha

<3 <3 <3 <3