Text diff of uassets?

How bad would it be to change the format of uasset files to something text based, so that real diffs could be made for small changes?

I’m not thinking XML, or even something simpler like JSON – it’s totally possible to describe various recursive and binary-like structures in text format with much less overhead, faster to parse, yet still give diff tools a fighting chance to do something smart by being judicious in where newlines go. (Leading whitespace for lines isn’t even necessary or desired.)

How close is a uasset in structure to something old-school like a tagged binary file (AIFF, RIFF, etc?)

1 Like

Have you tried opening any uasset files in some text editor? :wink:
Most of them are text as far as I know. Binary assets such as meshes and textures probably aren’t.

Let me clarify: When I said “uasset” I meant “Unreal assets in general.” I think text could be used for almost everything except textures and compiled code.
The specific kind of file that mostly irks me is actually “.umap” – I bet that could be made text with very little cost in space or performance (at least for pre-cooked data.)

Yeah totally agree. At least I would be extremely happy to see Blueprints as text format

I agree with you.
I appreciate that you are providing the tools to view the differences, but the cost to view the differences is too high.

I thought I just moved one tree on the map…but what if all the trees have changes?

At least with “one file per asset” the map diffs are much more reasonable.
That was a pretty good improvement in the 5 series!

1 Like