Tessellation on modular parts - gaps where modular parts join

I have made a cobblestone wall with a tiling texture to be used as a modular part, it is a 1x1 plane and the texture fits perfectly. I have added some slight tessellation to the wall to give it some depth. When joining the walls together I am getting very small gaps because of the tessellation.

I know I could bypass it by doing the following:

1. Creating the whole thing in a 3d program.
  2. Adding in pillars

However, I would like to avoid doing that if it is possible. Is there anything I can do to fix this within UE4?

I’ve added a picture of the issue. You can see where they join together

I don’t think there is going to be a whole lot you can do to fix that. Gaps like that, between modular pieces, would likely be the result of rounding/floating point digit precision errors. If it were all one piece, you’d throw on crack free displacement, but you don’t get that option here because each modular piece has no clue about the surrounding pieces.

One solution might be to look into which type of tessellation you’re using like PN triangles and such. Try the other option (don’t remember it’s name).

Another solution might be to take advantage of distance fields. You might be able to find a way to blend the borders better, but it would likely require a bit of work.

Thanks for the reply,

In that case I might just be better off modelling this room in my 3d software as a whole and then importing it as it would then be seen as a whole object rather than separate ones?

skirts :slight_smile:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-terrain-chunk-a-without-skirts-and-b-with-skirts_fig2_235952216

it’s old school terrain stuff, but it’ll at least close up that ugly gap…