Terrain painting with pen pressure?

It doesn’t work, you can see this yourself if you check the code on github, pressure is hard coded to 0 and the flag that enables tablets is disabled.

There are other reasons for getting a tablet though, it’s way better ergonomically and you can use the pen pressure in other software.

Oh okay… thanks.

Pity, this feature could make the landscape surfaces look 1000% better.

Hello Epic,

It’s been more than 1.5 year, can we possibly get support for pen pressure?

When pigs fly you can & if epic does not use or develop a feature for their own projects then they don’t give a ■■■■

2018 and still no pen pressure.

Come on, Epic.

Also, pressure for vertex painting would be awesome as well.

With the new addtion to the Landscape tools i think Pen Pressure would be a realy neat thing to sculpt the landscape.

I managed to integrated the new Stylus plugin into the spots in the editor modes (Landscape, MeshPaint, Foliage) where tablet pressure was queried but fixed to zero.

The changes required from a code perspective are quite small. Basically its snippets found in the SStylusInputDebugWidget added to the edit modes. The most trouble with the implementation is about the StylusInput being a plugin and it needs to be referenced from the core editor module. The way I managed to get it working is not clean, but currently I don’t know better. Manual steps required after each compile unfortunately are:

1. Copy the UE4Editor-StylusInput.dll from the Plugins/StylusInput/Binaries/Win64 to the Engine/Binaries/Win64 directory
  2. Adjust the Engine/Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor.modules file after the compiling was successful by adding one line:

"StylusInput": "UE4Editor-StylusInput.dll",

A patch file - based on 4.24.3 - is attached for people interested in trying out. If you know how to get around the manual copying and properly referencing the Stylus plugin from the editor module, let me know.

First impressions: MeshPainting was the mode where I could see it working. Landscape painting also worked quite okay. Sculpting not so much. But maybe its my lack of practive with the tool itself.

It seems the StylusInput is done by the team of Praxinos who work on ILIAD. So most credit goes to them, then. Thank you guys!

Hello guys,

we stumbled upon your topic, and we wanted to clarify the situation a bit. We did not, per say, developed the StylusInput plugin, but we were involved in his development (as a support and debug team). That being said, a large portion of the code is still being reviewed on the github of Unreal Engine, and will hopefully be released bit by bit with the releases of Unreal Engine (we don’t know much more about it).

For ILIAD, our drawing plugin, we also needed tablet support. So, to be compatible with the rest of Unreal Engine, we used StylusInput. Unfortunately, it needed some tweaks to work how we wanted it to work (using Wintab API in addition of Ink API, etc.). So we basically copied the plugin inside ILIAD and tweaked it. It’s still far from perfect, but you can look at the implementation of it by downloading the source code of ILIAD (https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp…g-beta-version).

For now, only Windows is supported, but Mac compatibility is on its way and should be released soon (probably this month), with some overall adjustments of the tablet support. We’ll keep you updated !

We hope it’ll help you in your process !

Praxinos’ team

It would be a great boon to productivity and workflow if we had the pressure sensitive pen tablets working properly as a standard function of the engines expected input capabilities. Also, 3dconnexion support. Thanks to all who are trying to make this happen. I was honestly very surprised that this functionality is not a core component.

Hello

I am very interested in stylus support, but for actual runtime (i.e. as an additional input mechanism during “play”, even though it’s not really a game). Dear PraxinosCoop members, when you write “but you can look at the implementation of it by downloading the source code of ILIAD”, does this mean that the source code is supplied when buying your plugin, and can be used as a source of inspiration to add wintab/ink support into my own code?

Thanks in advance.

Hi !

Our plugin is free, so you won’t have to spend a dime (it’s even among the “permanently free collection” now), and yes, sources of the plugin are included with the package. In the near future, we will also create a public repository on GitHub, so you can directly download the code from there and open issue tickets for bugs, ideas and requests.

Plus, for your information, we’re still working on the possibility to paint directly in the viewport :
[video]https://twitter.com/i/status/1273519513141641224[/video]

Feel free to join our Discord server if you want to chat with the dev team :slight_smile:

Has any progress been made on adding pressure support back into UE4? At least for the landscape and foliage rushes, but I imagine it could be applied in a number of others as well. Is there something Wacom could do to support this effort?

come to you in 2022 I cant seem to get any pen pressure in landscape painting how is this this an issue? I am using a Huion and was shock for a program that says its for artist not having this basic thing is crazy…

1 Like

Hello, I too would be very interested in having pen pressure support please, I’m genuinely surprised UE doesn’t have this feature despite it being THE industry standard engine