Temple of the Heavenly Queen, Melbourne, Australia

Hi everyone.

I’m from Forever Virtual. Hailing from Melbourne, Australia.

My Co-Founder and I have spent years generating very complex, very large-scale scenes for asset inspection, engineering, environmental monitoring and so on. We’ve learned quite a bit, having worked for one of the world leaders in this sector for roughly eight years combined.

We have over a decade total of combined experience in this area.

This was a really cool job, we absolutely loved working on. Our goal was to capture the intricate stonework and colourful murals in their full glory, we used both a Skydio 2 Enterprise, as well as Nikon D850s with both wide-angle and telephoto lenses.

The Skydio made sure we didn’t miss an angle, and the D850 allowed for fantastic colour reproduction.

The total dataset is ~22,000 images and was run at 2x downsampling.

We have used Nanite to import to Unreal Engine 5.1 and are working on an even higher-fidelity output we hope to have working in PCVR and eventually streaming direct into a headset using a-frames.

Skydio’s flight-paths always look crazy, but we exert little-effort getting the dataset to align, with great coverage and overlap in the final dataset. With some tie points used to merge the dataset with the D850 alignment.

The site was captured with ground control and is georeferenced and accurate to ~2cm.

Thanks all, we look forward to posting more in the coming weeks/months/years!

2 Likes

Hey ,

How many Skydio flights did it take you to capture everything? Do you break things down by facade? I assume you’re using 3D Scan?

Thanks,