Template-aided Level Construction Using a flat image?

I am having a hard time trying to form this question into words, which hasn’t helped any of my google searches thus far, but let me try to explain it.

I’m trying to find a way to use a top-down blueprint map I drew of my level idea as a template to build my level on top of.

I want to scan my image to have a digital image file, so I can import it somehow into Unreal Engine, spread it on an axis plane as a large image template, and then build shapes and such on top of the image. Then once everything is in place, delete the image template.

Would there be a specific part of a tutorial somewhere that talks about this? I’m certain I’ve seen something like this somewhere before. I’m not quite sure how I would get my image INTO Unreal Engine, which is where my progress on this idea comes to a halt.

Even though I have the blueprint sitting next to my laptop, I have trouble making the level in 3D space, it’s sort of a mental/visual disconnect sort of problem I’m having. This is how I think I can overcome that. Hopefully help anyone else having a similar frustration.

You could scan your physical drawing and import into Unreal as a texture. Then you could just map that onto a simple plane mesh and scale it to however big you need it to be :smiley:

Thank you! That was the missing part which was driving me crazy. As soon as I can get to a scanner, I’ll definitely try this out ASAP.

I’d recomment drawing a reference square on your map somewhere that you can use as a scaling reference.

since UE4 works with centimeters just create a 1x1x1meter box and have a little square on your map that’s 1x1meter in your world. This should give you a good idea about the scaling.