Teleport to Sublevels

Hi, I’m trying to teleport to my sublevels. The normal way creates a tone of lag. How do I
teleport to my sublevels and keep my persistent Level at the same time?

Thanks,

TeamDisorder

Hey there @Team_Disorder! Welcome back to the community! So it’s dependent on which method you’re using. If you’re using level composition and level streaming, you’d just load your sub level on top before you teleport the player there, and you’d just keep your persistent level in until you needed to leave it. This can be accomplished by loading and unloading the stream levels.

Alternatively if you’re using World Partition, you’re going to want to make level instances and use data layers the same way. You’d have your persistent world basically, and just preload wherever you would teleport to. This doesn’t take you to a new level so the massive load shouldn’t occur, but you will still need to account for time it takes to load, which depending on your assets could be quite fast or just as long!

Thank You! I’m still working on this issue…

No worries, are you sticking with world composition? If so, try out this tutorial from Ryan Laley to do level streaming.

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

If you still have issues with load times, are your levels streams close by or really far apart?

Hi, My issues are not with level streaming. I have a problem teleporting into a sublevel. If I use the regular Teleport system on the main map I get a tone of Lag. When I use an empty actor and teleport on the same map to that Location It sends me back to the player start…

Thanks,

Ahhh that’s a bit different. How complex is the change in location? ie is the new area dropping drastically in frame rate consistently even if you begin play there? Could you run the profiler over it if so, it might be just the rapid change in previously unloaded/unrendered area with high density could easily cause spikes.

Are the spikes only GPU, or are they CPU/Memory based as well?

Oh, I See! You have to be in the same sublevel volume. I was trying to teleport from another level streaming volume that loads the level only it is detached…

Thank You,
Team Disorder

Ahh yep, that will do it. The alternative is forcing the sub level to load beforehand if position is immutable. Awesome work!

1 Like