Teleport player without him noticing

Good day to you all.

I am trying to teleport a player in what seems like quite an unusual way.
I want to teleport my player to one corridor to another, the two corridors being an exact replica of each other, but placed in different coordinates of my level.

What I’m trying to do, is teleport the player but I wan’t him to be unaware of the teleport. Hence, going through the corridor (which has a trigger to teleport in the middle) should be no different than walking through a normal one.

This is the very reason why both corridors are exact replicas, so the player can’t tell the different when they are teleported.

I have tried to use both teleport and set actor location, and in both cases, i’ve tried storing the force, applying it afterwards… nothing. I can’t manage to accomplish a flawless teleport.
When the player is teleported, the camera always does like a jitter small thing that makes it pretty obvious something has happened (although the camera and player positions are working correctly).

Is there a way to achiveve this? I kinda want to do something similar to what the game “Antichamber” does, in that game you get teleported several times to different rooms but you never notice.

Here are some screenshots of the level from the top view:
Teleport corridor 1 (notice the trigger green line in the middle)

Teleport corridor 2

Full level

Hmmm, the only idea that comes to mind is to swap characters. While both are controlled at the same time with the same input. Here is some info on this:

Hope it helps

When you teleport the character do you take the offset of the player to the center of the trigger volume into account? The player likely never enters the volume in the exact same place so when you teleport him to a mirrored location without that offset a change would be noticeable.

So basically just subtract the players location from the collision volumes location(or the mirror point of your teleport location) save this vector in a variable called Offset. Then when you make your teleport transform subtract the Offset from the location you are going to teleport them to. EDIT: Also if you’re teleporting to a mirrored location where you rotate the player π you would ADD the offset opposed to subtract it.

I’m sorry if this is something you already thought of, it just seems like it would be a common oversight in my opinion.

Cheers

Thank you enearle.
Yes it is a common oversight, and yes, it is something I already thought of too (in fact one of the very first things I fixed).

However I did not solve the problem like you showed above.
What I do is substract the world location vectors of both triggers to obtain the distance between them for each coordinate. Once I have that distance, I add it to the player’s own world location and that final vector is what I add to the teleport node.

I don’t know is this method differs in result with what you show me. I highly doubt it since my position after teleport is consistent (if I enter trigger from the left, I appear from the left at the other side). Just in case I’ll post my blueprint code here:

No, your method should work fine.

hi I did something similar and it works just fine until I walk too close to trigger edge

I believe you have already considered doing that the other way around and teleporting locations instead of the character?

Here’s another thought: what if you create two same locations one above the other, and when a character walks along the corridor, you just move the corridor itself up and down; if a corridor is long enough it will move quite slowly so the player won’t notice anything.

I don’t really know how those things were implemented in Antichamber and The Stanley Parable, for instance, just something that came to my mind.