Technology will destroy the indie games industry

We can’t do much about progress in general. What I assume will happen is that the market as we know it will implode. I can’t say, what the consequences will be, but they will be severe. However, markets are like phoenix and new markets will arise. Fearmongering will not get us any further. I guess my point is that we need to start thinking differently in regards to making games, selling games and making a living out of it.

My hypothesis is that the market is not saturated in the conventional sense. We have a game market, which revolves around rock hard categories, which I call safe havens. I think 99% of indies or AAA devs have atleast thought about in the beginning, in what genre their game might fall. We are already so trained to consider safe options, before we try out risky options. When the game market was still niche, it was a HUGE risk to put out a game. It was either sink or swim. Games would also have a good amount of investment behind them, so it was even riskier. However, a lot of legendary/cult games came out in these years, which were really innovative and even in todays standards smart ideas and game mechanics.

So I think there are 2 possibilities, which can happen in the future:

1. The market crashes/implodes on the sheer amount of games.
  2. The old market will still exist, but a completely new market will appear.

That is just my 2 cents.

I see positively into the future :).

Obviously, as a Future Game Dev we are going to have to Step the Game Up and think-outside, inside, on-the-side, atop, and underneath-the-box!

Instead of trying to make Business out of Games, insert the Business into the Games.Interactive Media and Entertainment is the next frontier and its beyond just what we call ‘Games’ today. We UE4 devs have a head-start so take advantage of it.

As the Robots take over the Jobs, Humans will head to cyberspace into Virtual economies for jobs. Become a Virtual Job Creator. Lots of lesson to be learned from MMOs. The only limitation is ones imagination. So if you already counting yourself out this early, there is nothing I can say to help you see the possibilities.

Well said. I’m just glad we don’t have to create edge wear by hand (and similar tedious tasks) anymore thanks to substance painter. Technology may evolve, but nothing will take our creativity from us. That’s what matters the most in the end, technology just helps us reaching our goals faster (and it’s still taking forever haha)

Nah…
Let’s destroy all electronic devices, specially phones and computers, burn all TVs and go back to the gud’oldays. :slight_smile:

​​​​