Talks And Demos: Blockout and Asset Production in Unreal Engine 5

Learn how to make models in Unreal Engine 5 with this primer on the new and improved geometry tools. In this session, we take you through the process of creating a scene from scratch using the new geometry tools found in Unreal Engine 5.

https://dev.epicgames.com/community/learning/talks-and-demos/8k52/blockout-and-asset-production-in-unreal-engine-5

1 Like

Hi, I tried the blueprint snippets and they don’t seem to work, I selected the BP class “Dynamic Mesh Actor” and also activated all the necessary plugins, but all the variables are missing when I paste the code in the event graph.

@Epic @rmsEG (if you have a moment, for #4)

1. Is there a way to find out a bit more about the Character Reference you’re using.

I haven’t seen that technique before… using character models spawned for scale at regular intervals all around the level.
Is that a blueprint that spawns those static mesh refs on construction, measuring the ground level (landscape) as the base to spawn at? Or perhaps particles spawned in a grid, mesh at each particle?

**Update
Made a version: Static Mesh Character Reference for Modeling and Scale posted by Kavan | blueprintUE | PasteBin For Unreal Engine

1. What sort of curve are you using for your Curve and Curve_Position Variables on the GrassSpawner? I ended up using the Engine/Content/Tutorial::ContentIntroCurve

2. in BP_TreeStump, in the function “Branch Spawn” there is a macro “NewMacro_0” which doesn’t copy over. Since this is a debug function perhaps it wasn’t meant to be included? If so, heads up so whoever can take a second to clean up the code paste, or if it meant to be included, add it in.

3. in BP_TreeStump, in the event graph, is BranchVariants an array of arrays? If so, it doesn’t seem like an unreal friendly type by default. Is there some more you can share on this variable?

sorry, I was not involved in the production of this video. @ArranLangmead may be able to answer your questions.

1 Like

Heya,

1. The character references are just a landscape grass type set to a human scale ref
  2. The curve just pushes more cards towards the center
  3. Yeah it’s an array of a struct which contains array
1 Like