Take recorder cannot playback wheeled vehicles properly. Parent/wheels animate but child components remain at start position

The take recorder seems to record wheeled vehicles (pawns with a Vehicle Movement component) fine, but when attempting to playback in a level, the wheels and steering wheel animate and playback as expected in the world, but the child components of the vehicle (the Vehicle Mesh, and other pieces) remain in place at their spawned position.

The same take / sequence can be re-bound to another actor without the Vehicle Movement component and playback as expected.

This occurs even after setting “Simulate Physics” to false in the sequence itself on the Vehicle Mesh component.

Expected Result:
Possess a vehicle pawn, record some action using the take recorder, and play that action back on the same vehicle actor within a level.

Actual Result:
Possess a vehicle pawn, record some action using the take recorder, play that action back and only the wheels and steering wheel animate while the rest of the vehicle body and components remain static at their spawn points.

Hello,

We’ve made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

Thanks

Thanks, .

I’m going to forego filing an official bug report for this as I think I’ve found a solution that hopefully will help others too. It seems maybe the pattern I described above is against the intention of how the take recorder should be used.

If you are recording a take for a possesable pawn of any kind, it seems that in order to play it back in the level as expected, you need to create a duplicate actor that contains all the components and script from the possessable pawn, except with any movement components/movement-related code removed.

Basically, I have two blueprint actors now - a possesable pawn I use to record, and the same exact blueprint except as a non-possessable blueprint actor in the scene. I can then bind the sequence to the secondary/duplicated actor and it plays back as expected.

I think it would be great if playing back sequences on pawns worked as I originally described, but there are probably some very logicacl architecture issues that prevent that.

Hope this helps someone else!

1 Like

I had the same issue with Chaos Vehicle, whether the vehicle is spawned or possessed, everything records fine in the sequencer. But when rendering a video, the whole vehicle stays immobile while the wheels turn in place and the suspensions are suspending.

I just unticked “Simulate Physics” on the vehicle mesh, and the video render goes fine, thanks for pointing this trick that now solves the issue.