Syncing Character Animations from Different Slots

I have two slots for animations. The DefaultSlot that I am using for lower body animations and the UpperBody slot for the upper body. This is third person btw.

Normally when a gun is equipped the UpperBody slot uses an Aim Down Sight kind of pose depending on the weapon (rifle/shotgun or pistol, etc) which uses an aim offset based on the camera rotation. These animations are independent of the lower body movement.

Lower body is a basic 8 direction movement, forward, back peddling, strafing etc. All of this works perfectly. However, I just built in the jog animations for when you put your weapon away. So now the UpperBody slot is not a static aiming pose, its a jogging pose so the arms are swinging. If you start out from a standing position, the animations sync up, but if you are running when you put your weapon away, the upper body anim starts off at the start of the animation, but the lower body is wherever it happens to be at the time, and its almost never synced up.

These are all controlled by an anim blueprint with blend spaces, dunno which part to screenshot and show as its all very basic. How can I ensure that the arm swinging syncs with the leg movement? I thought about some convoluted notify system that offsets the animation by x number of frames but there has got to be a better way.

1 Like

Found the answer on my own after a bit more digging.

Basically, I set the blend space for the lower body animation to the RunSync sync group and set it to always be leader. Then I tediously went into each animation and set ‘LeftFootDown’ and ‘RightFootDown’ sync markers for the appropriate frames for those events. Then I set the upper body blend space to the RunSync sync group and set it to always be follower.

Worked like a charm and way easier than any of the notify solutions I came up with.

1 Like