Synchronizing two character's animations

Hi everyone
I’m working on a sequence where I have two characters who are doing a dance in sync with each other which I have made in Maya and imported. The sequence loops over 100 frames and over time they go out of sync.

I had the idea to put a notify on one of the characters’ animations on the first frame and when it fires, to send a message to an interface. Then, on the other character have their animation start when the interface is messaged.

The problem I’m having is that on the first character I don’t know how to set up the interface messaging. I can create an interface call but I don’t think it’s the correct node because it doesn’t have the envelope icon in the top right corner which shows that it is messaging the interface. I’m also not sure whether I should be trying to do this from an animation blueprint or a regular actor BP.

I’m quite new to Blueprints and just finding my any so any help would be appreciated. I have a sense that learning how to use interfaces would serve me very well but equally if there’s a better way of doing this I’d like to know about that too.

Many thanks!