Switch on String - cook bug

Hey guys,

I found this bug that prevents me from finishing my project.

I have Switch on String used like this:

What it does is - when the signal reaches the switch it checks the display name of a pickedActor (actor you the player previously picked from the level).

This works perfectly fine in the editor, and logging out the display names produces something like this:

[]
sno_zegar
sno_gwizdek
sno_drabina
sno_czajnik
sno_samolot
(…)
[/]

The problem occurs when I cook my project, because then the switch never propagates the signal.
I did a little debugging and found the problem - after I cook the game, all of the display names of my pickedActors get a suffix added to their display name by the cook process like so:

[]
sno_zegar_C_0
sno_gwizdek_4
sno_drabina_6
sno_czajnik_8
sno_samolot_4
(…)
[/]

causing Switch on String to NEVER work, because display names are never right.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this issue, please help (i dont even need exact strings, if the Switch On String would have a “contains” checkbox that would be enough - but I dont know how to add it)

Thanks for any help

Hi Talanar,

Please post this to the answerhub at http://answers.unrealengine.com in the bug reports section so we can better assist you. Thank you and have a great day!

Not a solution, but a workaround.

Not exactly the same problem I have, but I solved it with a Substring.

I’m looking for the string containing “Inventory”

I think display name is inherently dynamic, so you should better off by assigning an actual attribue or tag with the name you wanted.
I am surprised that it even works in editor(unless it’s permanent actor you dropped in level.)