Switch on Enum byte input double conversion?

I haven’t plugged anything into an Switch on Enum in awhile(4.4 probably) and I am seeing a weird double conversion issue.

Below, right image is how my old switch on enums work. Int converts to Byte and plugs into switch.

left image is how it works now, with an Int to byte, a byte to enum(?), and then “Enum Byte” into switch.

What is this extra conversion for? All my old switches work fine, but if I pull one out and plug into it I get new double conversion.

If I even take output of int/byte conversion that is already plugged into switch, and try and hove over switch input, it wants to do that second conversion for some strange reason.

If I try and plug an int into switch as in previous versions it says no. So I convert to byte. Then it works but wants to convert again.

Actually, this new conversion node seems specifically tuned to switch it was created for. If I try and plug a conversion for one switch into another it won’t work.

So is this how it is supposed to work now? Should I convert all my old enum inputs to new system to ensure there are no issues?

Hey ,

There were some changes to Enum related nodes in 4.5, which you can read about here:

Unreal Engine 4.5 Released! - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums!

In particular, this line explains difference you are seeing:

Switch Enum now uses a proper enum
typed pin rather than a generic byte

Your existing situations using enum inputs directly should continue to work, but as you noted it would be safer to convert them all to new system. Hope that helps!

Got it, thanks for heads up!