Swapping a mesh on a character controller

Hello,

Thank you for reading firstly. I was curious if anyone has switched from Unity to Unreal, if they know of a tutorial I am just not finding, or maybe someone could just explain:

How do you change the mesh to where it just fits correctly? What I mean by that is that all you do is just say change the fbx to this character mesh. I am sure I am doing it wrong, or there is a button I’m missing, or its a few step process, but I used to use Unity and all you had to do was parent the controller to a different mesh and make sure it was humanoid in mecanim.

Every tutorial I find it breaks the animations. Is there a way to make it not?

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

I’ve searched the forums, and YouTube, and everything, so if anyone knows of another thread, please feel free to redirect, thank you in advance, and if there is a way I should tailor my searching for further assistance being new to Unreal, please let me know.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hi,
Hope these steps may help you:

1. First import FBX file (character mesh) into UE4 editor (I hope your character mesh have a human-like skeleton, not like an animal skeleton)
  2. Retarget required animations from mannequin to new character mesh(monster_character in your case), tutorial here

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, Vinayaka_P!