Support for Apple Vision Pro in Unreal ??

I feel pretty bad for any game developer currently tied to the Unity platform.
If you have a mobile or free-to-play or other fractionally monetized product on top of Unity, you pretty much have to stop distributing it right now :frowning:

Maybe ChatGPT can be trained to port Unity projects to Unreal? :smiley:

I just want to give you a HUGE thanks for even replying to this.

2 Likes

I think the average Unreal Engine developer is going to need some major guidance from Epic or the community on how to develop, support, and ship to a new Apple platform. Its already difficult (though easier in the latest UE release) to do all this on the supported Apple platforms.

1 Like

Thanks Victor - Do you think there will be any discussion of this or more substantive XR subject matter at Unreal Fest 2023?

I’m doing a talk titled “Developing for OpenXR with Unreal Engine 5”, but there are no plans to discuss AVP.

7 Likes

Will this talk be available for people who can’t make it in person? I’m loving all of your YouTube chats!

1 Like

Yes, it’ll go live on YouTube in the coming weeks

4 Likes

Hey, are there any updates about the discussion?

2 Likes

It would be really helpful if Epic Games opens how we can, at least, run any default project into VisionOS Simulator with ue5-main branch.

4 Likes

Hello!
We are currently working on a UE project for AVP and bumped into the following issue:

• Built a VisionOS build of the project that works on iOS, but not on the Vision Pro simulator. (please see attached screenshot)

• Specifications
    MacbookPro 14 (M1 Pro)
    xcode 15.2 beta
    visionOS 1.0 beta 7 (21N301)

Does knows how to solve this? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
image (1)

4 Likes

any updates? now Apple Vision Pro will be shipped soon(Feb 2)… I just don’t want to use Unity to develope apps for AVP. Please make it happen.Thanks in advance

+1 This is forward progress. I have a Mac Studio Ultra. I will try to take up this fight, but we need a hero. I can not get my head around Unity new pricing model, it is unreal :wink:

I found this thread. The request was denied by service … | Apple Developer Forums

+1 Because they have AVP dev kit where I work and I’d like to try and build some stuff with Unreal!

+1 Because I neeeeed to develop for the Vision Pro for my job and I really don’t want to switch to unity just for that

1 Like

I was able to load the app on VisionOS simulator, but got same error as above. I think this needs to be embedded in SwiftUI to take advantage of scene and ARKit. Looking at bridging header.

Has there been any development on the no-room-scale-VR limitation of the AVP? I’m guessing everyone here is working on AR applications?

Hi folks - an update and a question!

With @iBrews’s kind pointers, I got as far as getting a project to compile, open and run on the simulator… which results in a black screen, sadly:

If anyone’s gotten this far / encountered the black screen (instead of the VR Template), let’s exchange notes! I’m very keen to unblock this.

4 Likes

A quick update on visionOS support in Unreal Engine for the Apple Vision Pro:

We’re planning to ship Experimental support for Apple Vision Pro’s Full Immersion Style (Full Immersion) in Unreal Engine 5.4.

While we’re evaluating support for Progressive and Mixed Immersive Spaces (Shared Space), it is entirely possible for you trailblazers out there to modify the UE source and add your own support for these other modalities.

20 Likes

@VictorLerp This is great news! Will there be any official guides available for workflows, or will that still be up to the community to create? As of right now it’s incredibly difficult to navigate for most devs trying to get the current implementation to build to the VisionOS simulator, let alone to device. I’m running into the exact issues (on 5.4 and 5.5) as Alex with building to my Vision Pro and it’s starting to look like the current implementation won’t even build to device. Does Epic have any headsets to validate this with?

2 Likes