[SUPPORT] Assets Cleaner - Project Cleaning Tool support thread

This is the support thread for the Assets Cleaner - Project Cleaning Tool
Please leave any question, feedback or issues as a comment below and we’ll get back to you asap.

Video Walkthrough

Documentation available here

UDPATE: ASSETS CLEANER 2.0 RELEASED!!

Description:

When a project has been in development for a while, or after a period of prototyping, it is common to have a lot of leftover assets that are not used anymore.
These assets are taking up disk space, slowing the editor and build times down, and affecting build size.

Assets Cleaner is a simple tool that quickly** lists all unused assets** in a project and allow **managing them directly **from the tool, helping keep your project clean and lean.

Are you tired of having to manually migrate assets over to a new project whenever you want to delete assets you no longer use?
These days are over! Assets Cleaner takes care of it for you!

Features:

• Scan and list Unused Assets

• See Assets disk size

• Easily browse the list with Filters (name, type, folder), and columns sorting (name, type, folder, size)

• Manage assets directly from the tool:

• Find in Content Browser

• Find in System’s File Browser

• Edit Asset

• Delete Assets (using the editor’s Delete Assets window)

• Move files

• View selected assets in the Reference Viewer graph to have a nice graph view of all references and dependencies

• View selected assets in the Size Map to have a visual representation of disk space usage in selected assets

Important/Additional Notes:

• Because some functionalities require the Editor plugin “AssetManagerEditor” to be enabled (it is by default), a warning will show up and options will be disabled, if it is not detected.

Update: Assets Cleaner has been released on the marketplace: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp…989122c043ae21
Please leave any question or feedback below

Update 01 is live!
Includes:

• A few minor fixes
  • Better plugin dependencies handling (avoids situation where projects wouldn’t load if AssetRegistryEditor plugin was disabled)

Thanks everyone for the support, I’ve been blown away by the reception on the marketplace!

Update: For anyone having crashes when opening levels after the tool had been opened, Epic just fixed the issue in 4.23.1
Please update the engine (no need to update the tool)

Assets Cleaner has been updated to 4.24
Enjoy!

Currently I can select all or a single file, but there is no way of choose several selected files. And not shortcut of any kind will help.

Also the right click functions won’t appear

running it in 4.23.1

Love this tool, works well!
Would be great if it could be scoped to a single folder though, e.g. via right click menu for a folder in Content Browser, otherwise it shows a lot of noise from marketplace assets that you’re not (yet) using. Also an (optional?) toolbar button perhaps?

I have this warning (image attached) but nothing happen after “How to” button click. How to fix that? UE4.23

This error means some of your assets have unresolved redirectors.
To fix them, all you need to do is right click on your content folder (the top folder), and choose Fix Up Redirectors. It will try and fix them all up (make sure you save everything it asks for)
Once that’s done just click refresh in the asset cleaner tool and it should be all good

let me know if that doesn’t do it

Assets Cleaner has been updated to 4.25!

Works like a charm. Thanks.

Glad it’s all working for you now!

Hi,
my friend have your plugged 4.24 and her project 4.25.
she want use your plugged at her project 4.25.
but it show this error “Assets Cleaner plugged designed for build 4.24”.
and she cant run her project anymore.
and we read your document. and we have “Asset Manager Editor” Enabled.

is there any solution? can run your plugged v 4.24 on her project 4.25 without re-download it?

i know the size just 35M but we dont have internet at the moment. we using mobile internet.

please any fix. any idea
Sorry about my English we are not english.

Hi there.
For the plug-in to work with 4.25, you need to download the 4.25 version from the epic launcher. That’s the best way.

if you’re not able to do that, there is one other way, but you will need to have visual studio installed on your computer.
first copy the plug-in from the unreal 4.24 folder to the 4.25 folder, in the same place (your unreal 4.25 folder /plugins/marketplace/assets cleaner)
Then can use notepad to edit the .uplugin file andcand engine version from 4.24.0 to 4.25.0
then launch your project and it will tell you you need to recompile. Say yes, and hope it works.

Please note that I cannot guarantee the plug-in will work correctly if you choose to do it this way. The recommended way is to use the launcher to download 4.25 version.

Hope this helps

Hi Christoufu.
Thanks for your reply.
you are really kind man.

i do your idea for update your plug-in from 4.24.0 to 4.25.0.
i copy the file to D:\build_game\unreal_engine_luncher\UE_4.25\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace
and change “EngineVersion”: “4.25.0”, inside AssetsCleaner.uplugin
but its say
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-tempid”:“temp_199064_1596125619096_532”,“title”:“4g45.png”}[/ATTACH]
https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/image/gif;base64

what mean IDE?
can you open AssetsCleaner.uplugin and send me picture to inside code?

i have 30Mib in my mobile internet and i don’t want spend all my internet. so i cant update from unreal engine.
NOTE: we run unreal engine offline mod and work in project.

Sorry if i annoyed you. And Thank you.
And your plug-in awesome i was using it. but i leave the project lot time and now we back

Hi.
The picture you posted doesn’t seem to be working.
If I had to guess I’d say you’re missing visual studio and the c++ modules which are required to recompile the plug-in to the 4.25 version.

It’s a tricky situation, I understand you have limited internet,b any solution will require you to download something. Either visual studio and c++ modules (probably >3Gb) or Assets Cleaner 4.25 (35mb)

I can’t really think of another way, sadly that’s just the way epic has done their version management.

Hope you manage to get it working.
Cheers

Hi! Firstly, thank you for delivering great tools for our industry.

I’m having constant problems with the Asset Cleaner. It freezes UE editor kinda randomly, when deleting more than a few assets, sometimes even when trying to delete one asset only.
I need then kill the UE in the task manager and start it over again. I have more than 400 assets in the project that are unused and I’m deleting them almost one by one.

Is it something I’m doing wrong maybe?
I’ll be grateful for your help.

Hey Godzil
We’ve been having a few reports about freeze on delete.
Looking into it, it’s always been an issue outside of the tool, in the editor itself.
It looks like some people get editor freezes when trying to delete assets that are too big or have too many references (or a slow hard drive)
If you want to be sure try this:
In asset cleaner: find the items you know freeze
Instead of deleting them, right click and pick: Sync to Content Browser
Close assets cleaner
In your content browser, it should have selected all the assets
Hit DEL on your keyboard to delete them
You will notice it takes a long time before the delete window even shows up, and sometimes even freezes

Sadly it’s an editor issue, and we haven’t been able to find a way to work around it,

Let me know how that test works out for you
Cheers

Hi
As we’ve just indicated in our email we can’t really help you without knowing what the problem is exactly.
Is the editor freezing, not freezing, crashing?
any crash log or editor log to see what the error is?

If it’s only on a specific project, the error might be linked to an asset in that project.

We’re willing to help you out but we need a bit more detail to work with.

​​​​​​As we indicated in the email, if you still want a refund please contact the marketplace support (see the marketplace faq page) to process the refund request.

Thanks!

I added the Assets Cleaner tool to my team’s project. However, now when my team members open the project they’re told they can’t save any assets until the Assets Cleaner tool is installed - How do I resolve this?